Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up files

I'm working on a recording project. I'd like to back up my audio files on an external hard drive. I have a Lacie external hard drive that has always worked fine until recently. Now my Macbook doesn't recognize it most of the time. Once in a while it does. If I hook it up to my old G3 first and then reconnect it to my Macbook then it seems to work most of the time. Weird. Any thoughts about what's going on?

Macbook2, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 12:22 PM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2010 1:54 PM in response to adriansmusic

It could be a matter of file header structures, etc. So, not a hardware problem, but software. Have you run Disk First Aid, and repaired permissions on the hard drive (using your Mac's Disk Utility)? Before doing anything, though, back up what you have (onto DVDs, or ??) in case things go from bad to worse and it is a hardware problem.

I have had good really luck with the product DiskWarrior when I have file structure problems...it seems to work magic. And when you have a lot of audio files, samples, and folders, file structures can get discombobulated.

Jan 17, 2011 1:37 PM in response to adriansmusic

Read through these threads and see if anything applies to your symptoms and situation:

www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/45509-force-eject-cd-intel-based-macbo ok.html

Hopefully you can get your disc ejected with no problems, and your internal drive working OK. If the drive is not functioning or binding in the case, AND you are out of warrantee, AND you are comfortable doing your own minor repairs, there are plenty of online instructions and videos, but proceed at your own risk and level of comfort! Repair shops can be spendy.

Backing up files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.