Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible software update

Just attempted to update my Mac operating system to 10.6.5 and saw it would take an estimated 234 hours for the 500+ MB download. Are they kidding or are they serious!! What gives?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 5:57 PM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2010 6:07 PM in response to Figaro78

Are you on dialup? I downloaded the combo updater which is almost twice the size in about 20 minutes (my cable was slow that day).

In any case, if you are on dialup, do you know another Mac user with a faster connection who would agree to download it for you (and copy it to an external drive)? Or, you could stop at an Apple store and ask if they would do it for you.

Nov 15, 2010 8:41 PM in response to Figaro78

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Quit all other applications, web browsing, etc. and try again letting the download finish. Initially the estimated times can and will be way off, then start gradually correcting to the proper time as the download runs.

My DSL is way slower than Barbara's cable and the standard system update takes around 35 minutes to download, while that giant Combo Update can take an 1 hour easy.

Dennis

Impossible software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.