Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google search thinks I'm a robot?

This is the second time I've had this happen to me. Whenever I type something into google search I'll be redirected to a page that says:

"To continue please type the caracters below, (and it has a CAPTCHA for me to solve)

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. "

Then it has my ip address.

When I click the "why did this happen" link I get th following message:

"This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests have stopped. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you to continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug in or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection ask your administrator for help -a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible."

Help.....what does this mean, I've only had this happen twice...

Sony Vaio, Windows 7, iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3G 8GB

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 1:14 PM

I disagree that this question is answered. I've had this issue three times with my iPhone 3GS (running ios4) using the 3G network, not wifi.

Its is very difficult to find any relevant information on this somewhat serious issue. Moderators aren't touching this topic on this site, and google continuously says the same thing "you're violating our terms of use".

The fact is, this happens on both the goggle app, and safari. Clearing the cache and cookies on the iphone is not a solution. It just seems the block is lifted after a long period of inactivity on google.

This is frustrating because anytime theres an issue with third party software, these forums still try to assist before wiping their hands of the issue. But for this, there is not attempt made to seek the cause.
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2010 1:14 PM in response to scorpio985

I disagree that this question is answered. I've had this issue three times with my iPhone 3GS (running ios4) using the 3G network, not wifi.

Its is very difficult to find any relevant information on this somewhat serious issue. Moderators aren't touching this topic on this site, and google continuously says the same thing "you're violating our terms of use".

The fact is, this happens on both the goggle app, and safari. Clearing the cache and cookies on the iphone is not a solution. It just seems the block is lifted after a long period of inactivity on google.

This is frustrating because anytime theres an issue with third party software, these forums still try to assist before wiping their hands of the issue. But for this, there is not attempt made to seek the cause.

Dec 30, 2010 1:38 PM in response to kevinknutson

Many people, using many systems (desktop, laptop and smartphone, on multiple provider networks), are reporting in the various forum the same issues over the last month or so. So this is not an iPhone-specific issue.

If you have any of the several Gmail-oriented apps, that may be a factor and you might try disabling that app and see if eventually the messages go away and don't return. Restart your iPhone after deleting (probably worth trying even if you don't have Google apps). And of course if presented with a CAPTCHA prompt, you need to respond to it.

If none of that helps, you'll probably need to take this up with your wireless provider.

Regards.

Dec 30, 2010 3:56 PM in response to kevinknutson

scorpio985, the person that posted the question must have marked it answered so (s)he must have felt it had been answered to at least their satisfaction.

Now I haven't experienced this yet myself but a couple of people have said they've experienced it and that it isn't specific to the iPhone. I'd say the reason why it would be more apparent if you mostly use 3G is because I believe most, if not all, mobile providers use a proxy of some kind. This means Goggle will be seeing a lot of requests appearing from a small block of IP addresses.

Jan 3, 2011 2:49 PM in response to kevinknutson

The general opinion on all the forums in which I found this problem discussed, including in Google's own forums, is that Google is full of it and that these are mostly bogus messages or an overgeneralization based on problems on a given carrier from some users being misapplied to other users. But since I've not experienced the problem myself, I can't say with certainty.

Regards.

Jan 3, 2011 2:37 PM in response to varjak paw

Fair enough, but clearing cache/cookies, and restarting does nothing. The CAPTCHA only appears once, even if entered correctly.

My experience with google leads me to believe when they say that my device in violating terms of use, I believe them.

If its a provider issue, thats one thing, but the general attitude on the forums has been to look the other way.

Apr 23, 2016 5:38 PM in response to scorpio985

I Have yet to be able to convice CAPTCHA that I am a human being. These are on websites that are not Google property! The racing game CSR Classic's website for example! There was another game that was sending me to their website for assistance but I do not recall which one now. I recently deleted several games that were impossible to advance in and believe it was one of those, the reason for looking for assistance! The pictures are either A: too blurry or B: wrong(?). The words are always unreadable. The sound(?) is nonexistant. So how can I prove I am not a robot??? The 'report a problem' has yet to provide any assistance or response for that matter!!! Have not been able to find any way to contact them except through the 'report a problem' section at the bottom of the CAPTCHA window which is apparently ignored!

Google search thinks I'm a robot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.