Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive upgrade on 2007 MacBook

My wife has a 2007 MacBook - and she's more or less outgrown the hard drive.

If we wanted to get her a newer and bigger hard drive, can someone tell me which drives would work with this machine? How do I look for replacement / upgrade drives? What specs do I look for?

(I've seen ads for those new and expensive SSD drives - would those make any kind of difference?)

WF

MacPro; 2 x 3 MHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon; 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1), World's Largest iTunes library (too big too count!)

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 8:51 AM

8 replies

Nov 16, 2010 9:06 AM in response to WillFriedwald2

Any 2.5" notebook SATA drive will work. Look for drives at OWC. Benchmarks and reviews may be found at Bare Feats, Storage Review, and Tom's Hardware Review.

SSD drives are very expensive in sizes over 80 GBs. If speed is more important than capacity then you may consider the SSDs. If capacity is more important consider the Seagate XT500 hybrid that provides improved speed by using a small SSD as part of the drive. I have two of them and am quite pleased with their performance.

Dec 11, 2010 5:24 PM in response to JDUBYA123

My suggestion is for you to buy an new internal drive and an external drive(if you don't already have one). Then before replacing the internal hard drive;

1. use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive to the external hard drive(be sure your external drive is formatted so it is bootable, GUID Partition Table).

2. replace the internal hard drive with the new one

3. Boot from the external hard drive and use disk utility to format the drive(again, be sure you format it so it's bootable)

4. clone your external hard drive back over to the new internal

hard drive upgrade on 2007 MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.