Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPHONE 4 GPS

Hi,
i have just finshed my call with an apple assistant about the gps in the iphone 4 and i'm did not really get it.
so i wanna know if the iphone 4 got a gps? if yes then can i trace my location without internet ? if i need internet it will trace then my isp is that not right?
i'm totally confused so i wanna some explication about that gps and if its possible to trace my location without internet . i need a free app that can do that in my country (morocco).

iOS 4

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 10:23 AM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2010 10:51 AM in response to ohghalib2010

"i wanna know if the iphone 4 got a gps?"

Yes.

" if yes then can i trace my location without internet ? "

Yes.

The GPS chip in the iphone works as any other GPS chip. It does not need internet to get a position.

However, the Maps app on the iphone requires an internet connection.

Your GPS knows where it is, it simply has no map on which to plot that location without the internet _when using the Maps app.

There are many apps ( I use Tomtom) that store the maps on the iphone, so there is no need to connect to the internet in order to navigate.

Nov 16, 2010 11:06 AM in response to ohghalib2010

The compass app will give you your location, in degrees, minutes and seconds of latitude and longitude without requiring an internet connection.

As mentioned, if you want to display your location on a map, you either need an internet connection to download map information (as with the Maps app, or MapQuest and others) or you need an app installed that includes all its maps as preloaded images (so that it does not need to download any image data).

You can check available apps at the App Store or at appshopper

Search for things like "offline maps" or "offline map browser"

http://appshopper.com/navigation/

Nov 16, 2010 11:26 AM in response to ohghalib2010

Cannot do it for google maps. You'll have to find something else. Check the App store for a free map browser for you country (there are a few for the USA).

There is one for Africa - http://appshopper.com/navigation/africa-offline-map-with-directu-free but I have no idea if it actually has what you want - you'd have to try it and see for yourself.

IPHONE 4 GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.