Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login into ICQ account

Since today, everytime I want to login into my ICQ account via iChat it asks for my password but when I enter it, it keeps asking again. I did a little google research and as it shows, ICQ changed the login servers. The same problem also happened with adium. A suggested solution for adium was to change the login server from the default settings to the new login.icq.com and it worked after a restart (no change of default Port 5190). But when I change the server in iChat it still asks for my password. Palringo and ICQ apps for iPhone and beejive for iPad still work without a change. I changed my password for my ICQ account but that didn't help to get iChat working again either. I know iChat doesn't support ICQ natively, but if you choose AIM you can enter your ICQ login and password and it worked fine for several years. I have Chax installed to remove the html code that is sent to people with every message that don't use iChat. Any solutions or suggestions? I know I could use Adium instead but I don't want to give up certain feature like screensharing, videochat or iChat theatre...

iMac 3.06 DualCore, 500 GB, nVidia 8800, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 2:18 PM

16 replies

Nov 19, 2010 11:54 PM in response to Kerosen

Kerosen wrote:
I had the same issue; probably comes from the fact that AOL doesn't own ICQ anymore so the servers changed. I changed the server in ichat to login.icq.com, port 5190 and then in the "security" tab of the account preferences I disabled "Allow AOL's server to relay video chats". And it works…

Well, before troubles started i had same configuration of icq but it didn`t save me from headache.
And i found on applelife.ru adium-users had same problem before updating to new version of adium.

Nov 26, 2010 12:52 PM in response to laurasydora

Hi,

Welcome to the  Discussions

This thread is specifically about recent issues with using an ICQ name in iChat.

Using an @mac.com name is really a different issue and should have had it's own thread.

However most likely this is because you have a Password that is over 16 Characters in length.
Apple allow to about 20 I think but the AIM Login in iChat can only handle up to 16 (This is an AIM Server Issue) (Apple did a Deal to have @mac.com names recognised as Valid AIM Screen Names)

The "Fix" is to shorten your Password.

User uploaded file

8:52 PM Friday; November 26, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Dec 1, 2010 1:52 PM in response to pedrosow

It is absolutly un-understandable for me but it did it's job.
What takes me corious that I use login.icq.com as dafault server without ssl from the wery begining due to cyrilyc characters (wich aol servers works really bad).
So what i did:
i opened account settings, flagged SSL connection in server tab. It's changed to some secure.aol.com (some sort of that), and i rewritted it to my usual server - login.icq.com. After that I activated icq account and iChat tried to connect, but it posted error message. So i went to account settings onse more and unflagged SSL. From the second time I succesfully connected to my ICQ.
I'm wery happy using ichat again:)
For me problem solved.

Can't login into ICQ account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.