Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon iR C3220 Woes

Howdy,
I am having trouble printing to a Canon Image Runner C3220 copier at work. I just recently upgraded my macbook pro (10.5.8) to a macbook air (10.6.4). and with the resulting system update, I found that I could no longer use the driver that was working for me. It was called: Canon iR C3220 PS. I was getting a "driver was installed incorrectly" error, which from what I understood was a Snow Leopard incompatibility.

I then installed the latest drivers from Canon that came with the file "CanonPPD_v3.00.zip" and added a printer with the driver labeled Canon iR C3220. There was none labelled Canon iR C3220 PS. The problem is that none of the printer special feature options seem to be enabled. At the minimum, I need the "Job Accounting" option since we use ID and Passwords for printing. I tried some of the other image runner drivers and the same thing happened. None of the printer/copier features were accessible. I must be doing something wrong because it wouldn't make sense for none of these drivers to allow access to basic features like stapling or 2-sided copying.

I then installed the file "UFRII v2.15MacOSX.zip". When I tried some of these drivers, I had access to the special features, but the problem is that apparently these drivers are not for the C3220 printer/copier. I got error messages implying an incompatibility.

Just so you know, I'm a noob when it comes to the nuances of printing. I'm guessing the "PS" in the file that was working for me stood for postsript, but I don't know why that would make a difference or why none of the new files are postscript. Any help would be appreciated.

macbook air, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:35 PM

4 replies

Nov 16, 2010 5:10 PM in response to kronk14

kronk14 wrote:
I am having trouble printing to a Canon Image Runner C3220 copier at work. I just recently upgraded my macbook pro (10.5.8) to a macbook air (10.6.4). and with the resulting system update, I found that I could no longer use the driver that was working for me. It was called: Canon iR C3220 PS. I was getting a "driver was installed incorrectly" error, which from what I understood was a Snow Leopard incompatibility.

This is correct. The PS driver v2.11 that you would have been using with your OS X 10.5 Mac is not compatible with OS X 10.6.

I then installed the latest drivers from Canon that came with the file "CanonPPD_v3.00.zip" and added a printer with the driver labeled Canon iR C3220. There was none labelled Canon iR C3220 PS. The problem is that none of the printer special feature options seem to be enabled. At the minimum, I need the "Job Accounting" option since we use ID and Passwords for printing.

The Canon PPDs are a different driver to the Canon PS driver. They provide most finishing options for the copiers but not the special features like Mailbox printing and Job Accounting.

I must be doing something wrong because it wouldn't make sense for none of these drivers to allow access to basic features like stapling or 2-sided copying.

The PPD menus are different to the PS driver menus. To print two sided, you use the Layout menu. Stapling is located under Printer Features > Finishing 2 > Staple.

I then installed the file "UFRII v2.15MacOSX.zip". When I tried some of these drivers, I had access to the special features, but the problem is that apparently these drivers are not for the C3220 printer/copier. I got error messages implying an incompatibility.

Correct also. The iR C32xx series was a UFR1 device and therefore does not support the UFR2 printer language. FYI - there was never a UFR1 driver created for Mac OS X; there was only a Windows driver.

I'm guessing the "PS" in the file that was working for me stood for postsript, but I don't know why that would make a difference or why none of the new files are postscript.

PS does stand for Postscript, but as I said the PPD, while being Postscript, does not have the additional plugins that support the extended features. You therefore need the PS 'full' driver. The latest version of this PS driver is 3.10 which supports Mac OS X 10.6. However, your iR C3220 is not listed as a supported model and therefore I believe that you will not be able to use this driver with Job Accounting (Dept ID) enabled in the copier. In case you want to try it by selecting a different iR C model, here's a [link|http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100248302.html].

Nov 17, 2010 10:59 AM in response to kronk14

Here is an update in case anyone else runs into this issue. As mentioned above, the linked driver file did indeed not support the C3220. However, I noticed that the file was from Canon-Australia, so thinking that perhaps printer/copier models have local variations, I decided to try the Canon-USA site again. Armed with the useful information above I knew what to look for, and found the PSv3.20 drivers here - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printersmultifunction/color_laser_multifunction/color_imageclassmf9280cdn#DriversAndSoftware - which do support the C3220. Thanks again for the help!

Nov 17, 2010 10:32 PM in response to kronk14

Good to read that you got it working. We have the same model here in Australia, it's just that for some reason that series was left out with the v3.10 driver. Hopefully the v3.20 driver for the rest of the world will also support the iR C32xx series. And for the record, the file is actually coming from Canon INC - Canon Australia simply links to their download content.

Canon iR C3220 Woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.