Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2ndd gen Shuffle not recognized in OSX/iTunes after OSX/Itunes update

After updating two iMacs to 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1 my 2nd gen Shuffle isn't recognized on either.

1. It still plays music so I know it's not dead
2. It stopped syncing after updating but not sure which update could be the cause.
3. I've tried rebooting the computer(s)
4. I've tried the iPod restore utility and it doesn't recognize the iPod at all.

Is there anything else I've missed?

iMac 20" 2.4ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 gig ram

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 4:11 PM

26 replies

Dec 2, 2010 7:36 PM in response to jetb2

I was having the same issue. iTunes 10 2nd Gen shuffle. No joy. I read in a post from a few years ago that someone had this problem on a pc and used a different usb post and it worked so I tried that. Joy! I was using the port on the same side as the power plug and switched to the one on the other side and it worked. I ejected it and plugged it back into the first port and it doesn't work. I don't know why because I have another ipod as an iPhone as well as other usb devices that work fine on that port. But not my shuffle. Go figure.

Dec 12, 2010 6:33 PM in response to jetb2

Yep. Same problemo here. 2nd gen ipod shuffle, working fine, then not recognised by itunes or computer following update to itunes 10.1. The 'ipod restore' utility in itunes does bugger all to fix it. Have tried initializing the ipod shuffle on an older Mac (OS 9.2.2) and then reconnecting to my MacBook (OS 10.6.5) but this does not work either.

Dec 14, 2010 4:51 PM in response to jetb2

I've had this exact issue for a couple of weeks. I finally managed to drive the hour+ to our nearest Apple store. To my great frustration they were able to have my Shuffle connect perfectly to their machine, yet it still is not recognized by my Intel Mini or my hubby's PC. It sits in the cradle and flashes yellow like it's charging, but is otherwise unrecognized by my computer. When I try the reset utility it is "aware" that my Shuffle is there, but cannot retrieve serial # data or disk spaced used...the iPod is never ready for reset.

At this point I don't know what to do...buy a new 4th gen. Shuffle in the hopes that it works? I'm not sure if the issue is with my iPod or my computer or iTunes.... I'm contemplating switching to another player entirely, even if it means having to burn all my music to CDs and reimport as Mp3s.

Adding to my frustration, I purchased my Shuffle only in April from SmallDog.com. I purchased what was SUPPOSED to be a brand new, with full warranty Shuffle. I found out today that the iPod was registered almost 2 years ago when Small Dog received it and stocked it in their warehouse, so I essentially paid full price for a shuffle sans warranty. Apparently Small Dog is not the only company that pulls this BS. A purchase may not be warrantied for a full year (or for any time) from anyone other than Apple.

Dec 18, 2010 11:04 AM in response to jetb2

After much frustration this is my solution.
I fully charged my iPod 2nd Gen with portable charger. Then connected to my shut down Mac.
Booted into into safe mode (hold down the shift key on startup). This will not allow iTunes to start with the iPod is connected. My iPod did not show in the finder, this I think is a good thing. I started "Disc Utility" and erased my iPod. I had nothing to loose at this point, I was debating on the trash as it's next residence.
I restarted my Mac, iTunes started up and suggested I restore my iPod, when I clicked Restore the finder then didn't like the format and I ignored that dialog box. To my delight, the next box wanted me to name my iPod and I started with a fresh iPod and all is well. I hope this helps!

Dec 22, 2010 5:01 AM in response to jetb2

I have similar problems with my iPod Shuffle not mounting. I finally discovered that my problems were related to VMWare Fusion. If you also have this installed you may be having the same problems. In VMWare Fusion, connect your iPod. Once it's connected, then disconnect the iPod. When I do this sequence, the iPod finally appears on my desktop and is shows up as a device in iTunes.

Dec 24, 2010 6:54 AM in response to JWA

I had the same issue with my wife's purple 2nd gen ipod shuffle.

what i did was, using disk utility, i erase the ipod shuffle disk.
then when i started itunes, the ipod was detected as a "new" ipod and it prompted something like," you need to format your ipod". a few steps later,my wife's ipod succesfully detected by itunes and properly functioned. Just make sure u conected to the internet when restoring the ipod to the factory setting.

2ndd gen Shuffle not recognized in OSX/iTunes after OSX/Itunes update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.