Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer is asking for a password

Hi i have a cannon ip4200 that is connected to a windows 7 computer and a macbook pro using the printer through a share smb//192.168.0.0/mick. Every thing was working fine the mac could print through the share until today when i tried to print and it is asking for a password and a username i did update the win 7 computer 2 days ago.Has any one else had this problem and know how to fix it thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 10:51 PM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2010 2:55 AM in response to Mick463

Mick463 wrote:
Yes i am using that driver maybe i should find an updated one.

I don't believe the newer versions of Gutenprint will help.

There must be something about the Win7 sharing settings but I ran the Windows update and nothing has changed with my connection from the Mac.

So back to the Advanced sharing settings, under the Home or Work profile, which should be your current profile, is File & Printer sharing on and Password protected sharing off?

Also, have you tried deleting the printer queue on the Mac and adding it again? Sometimes this can help.

Nov 16, 2010 11:24 PM in response to Mick463

Does the job leave the Mac but fail to print or do you get an error stating that the user name and password is incorrect?

In testing Windows 7 and printer sharing I also found that the network profile (location) imposes a number of restrictions. You need to ensure it is set to Home or Work. If it is set to Public then this can stop sharing functions.

Are you still able to connect to a shared folder on Win7 from the Mac?

Nov 17, 2010 12:32 AM in response to PAHU

Tested a Win 7 Home Premium setup sharing a Canon LBP5975. In addition to ensuring the Network Location is set to Home or Work, rather than Public, you also need to go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center and open Advanced sharing settings. Here you can scroll down to Password Protected Sharing and set this to Off. In doing so, I was still prompted to authenticate, but I could select Guest without having the Guest account enabled on Win7.

Nov 17, 2010 1:07 AM in response to PAHU

Thank you for the reply and the only way i have ever been able to access files on the win machine is through the mac public folder and that is after i have put the file in that folder i can not see the win comp from the mac.I have tried every thing you suggested and even turned on the guest account with no success the same error keeps coming up.

Session setup failed: NT STATUS_INVALIDPARAMETER.

It has to be something really simple a config error.
Cheers Mick463

printer is asking for a password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.