Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yellow screen

Hy guys look at photo st the same brightness the difference between 4g and 3gs!
4g seems to have a yellow screen, what do you think?
in both models i have 4.1 firmware!
Thanks!

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2352/12112010.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6144/iphone2.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4425/duey.jpg

Message was edited by: lorelore1986

iOS 4

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 12:42 AM

13 replies

Nov 17, 2010 6:00 AM in response to lorelore1986

How long have you had your new iphone 4?

To my understanding, but not always the case, the yellow screen that you refer to may be the adhesive glue that has not been fully dried from the factory. I also had this similar issue, but on my 2nd replacement, it also had the same issue, but I just dealt with it, after a week later, the yellow screen is gone and have the true white hue to it.

The genius guy that I talked to recommended that I use it a week and see if it disappears. He was correct. Now maybe try using it for a week, and see if the yellow screen disappears. If not, then it is probably a defect and you may need to get it replaced.

Nov 17, 2010 6:47 AM in response to lorelore1986

the yellow screen has nothing to do with the software, unless Apple changes the color. Which I don't have any problem on 4.1.

It may be possible that it is a hardware problem since it's the LCD. Have you taken it to the apple store and compared it with the another iphone 4? If it's not the same, then something is wrong, and you should ask for a replacement.

Nov 17, 2010 1:42 PM in response to Kwopau

Kwopau wrote:
How long have you had your new iphone 4?

To my understanding, but not always the case, the yellow screen that you refer to may be the adhesive glue that has not been fully dried from the factory. I also had this similar issue, but on my 2nd replacement, it also had the same issue, but I just dealt with it, after a week later, the yellow screen is gone and have the true white hue to it.

The genius guy that I talked to recommended that I use it a week and see if it disappears. He was correct. Now maybe try using it for a week, and see if the yellow screen disappears. If not, then it is probably a defect and you may need to get it replaced.

You are confusing yellow tinted screens with yellow spots.

Nov 18, 2010 11:30 AM in response to samven582

You can find out the proof on Google. Sure you don't have to believe me, which I don't care, but the yellow tint is an adhesive glue, although the adhesive glue is used for the iphone, certain areas or as a whole may not have been completely dried. If not, then how would the screen attach to the glass? Along with the digitizer?

Generally speaking, if you have a screen protector and you see a yellow screen, remove the screen protector and set the setting to both low and high, comparing. If it's not yellow screen (tint), then it's probably the screen protector that is yellowish tone. Even if you do remove the screen protector and screen still remains yellow, then it is the adhesive glue.
Also take it to the apple store and compare with their display iphone. If you see that your phone has yellow tint on it, it is likely that it is an adhesive glue that has not fully dried (that is if you have no screen protector on it). From my experience, my original iphone 4, had this yellow tint issue, thus why did I take it back to Apple for a replacement? Also the genius told me about it and thus he was correct. That if I use the phone for a week that it would disappear. Well my 1st replacement had the same exact thing, but I used it a week to what he said, and lo' and behold, the yellow tint dissolved and have the true white to it.

Like i said, if you are using a screen protector, it could be that, but if you are not using the screen protector and still see yellow effect then it's probably the adhesive glue that hasn't fully dried.

Nov 18, 2010 12:51 PM in response to lorelore1986

It is not adhesive glue or something. It is just a different icc profile. Different batch they run, had different tints/hue.

I bought 6 different iP4 on diffeent weeks, even one after two months gap, all had different tints, different shades of yellow and blue. Even one was little bit redish. I kept the one which looked best to my eyes. Not too yellow not too blue or redish.

Even at Apple store all the displayed models had different tints and I showed that to genius bar but he had no answer to that in fact was surprised to see.

Anyways, long story short, ip4 supports icc profiles, just like your Mac. For now, only Apple can change it.

If you look at the MBP 17" you will see the default profile is more towards bluish, take a look at 13" you will see its little bit towards yellowish or milky.

I might be wrong but that's what I think.

Message was edited by: 141FD

Nov 18, 2010 3:21 PM in response to Kwopau

Kwopau wrote:
You can find out the proof on Google. Sure you don't have to believe me, which I don't care, but the yellow tint is an adhesive glue, although the adhesive glue is used for the iphone, certain areas or as a whole may not have been completely dried. If not, then how would the screen attach to the glass? Along with the digitizer?

Generally speaking, if you have a screen protector and you see a yellow screen, remove the screen protector and set the setting to both low and high, comparing. If it's not yellow screen (tint), then it's probably the screen protector that is yellowish tone. Even if you do remove the screen protector and screen still remains yellow, then it is the adhesive glue.
Also take it to the apple store and compare with their display iphone. If you see that your phone has yellow tint on it, it is likely that it is an adhesive glue that has not fully dried (that is if you have no screen protector on it). From my experience, my original iphone 4, had this yellow tint issue, thus why did I take it back to Apple for a replacement? Also the genius told me about it and thus he was correct. That if I use the phone for a week that it would disappear. Well my 1st replacement had the same exact thing, but I used it a week to what he said, and lo' and behold, the yellow tint dissolved and have the true white to it.

Like i said, if you are using a screen protector, it could be that, but if you are not using the screen protector and still see yellow effect then it's probably the adhesive glue that hasn't fully dried.

{quote}You can find out the proof on Google.{quote}
Can you post some links where this "adhesive glue" is causing the entire screen to be yellow?

{quote}Sure you don't have to believe me{quote}
you are right. I do not believe you. You are posting information with out any proof.

Message was edited by: samven582

Nov 19, 2010 6:01 AM in response to lorelore1986

I mentioned this on your other post that you created but to answer your question on this thread.

Apple receives LCD's from LG (I think it's LG), as they don't make their own LCD's. Now Apple only has one and only one color on all iphone, which is the white tone in the white background. So then, why would you think that Apple make 50% of their models to have a yellow tone and the other 50% to have a white tone? I don't think Apple would have done that.

Now as said, there are few possibilities that may cause the screen to be yellowish tone when viewing. Either it is your screen protector, that it could be old and used a lot?

Example: I bought ipod touch 1st Gen, when it came out, I then immediately applied the zagg invisible shield, back only, now after 3 years, I'm still using that same exact zagg invisible shield, never took it off since day one, and now it has the yellowish tone on the invisible shield.

So the screen protector may be the issue here.

Other possibility is this: When Foxconn assembles the iphone, they apply the adhesive glue to the LCD to adhere the glass together. The glue that they use makes the screen look yellowish tone when turning on (i'm sure if you applied that same adhesive glue to a glass you will get the same effect at first but when dry i'm sure it disappears), and is supposed to dry out and disappear when being used a lot. I would imagine that if your screen cracked, and took it to the apple store, most likely they would just replace you a new or refurb, but if they do decide to fix your screen instead of replacing a new one, I would assume that they would dismantle the phone, remove the LCD, remove the digitizer, remove the faceplate, get the new faceplate, install the new digitizer, and apply the adhesive glue, then install the LCD.

What else would cause the screen to be yellow? Only the screen protector or the adhesive glue. As said, Apple only has one and only one color and that is white.

Dec 2, 2010 4:21 PM in response to lorelore1986

I just replaced my week 1 iphone 4 with an ew one due to a cracked screen. Without even comparing to my old phone (and before I started searching for others complaining), I knew the new phone was a different tint than the old phone. It had a yellower look to it. Side by side, my old iphone 4 vs my new iphone 4 at the same brightness, the color is clearly a warmer white on the replacement. I'm very disappointed because I know what my old phone looked like.

I'm not saying it's bad, but having had the other, it is noticeable. I think there aren't more complaints about this because if this replacement phone was the first or only one I ever had, I wouldn't know the difference.

I may take mine into the apple store to see if they would entertain swapping it out. I figure my only chance is if the display model looks like my old phone.

Dec 3, 2010 6:02 AM in response to luaufish

luaufish wrote:
I may take mine into the apple store to see if they would entertain swapping it out. I figure my only chance is if the display model looks like my old phone.

Definitely try comparing with the display iphone at the apple store, those get used a lot, and i'm sure they won't have any yellow tints.

I recently got my phone replaced again, due to the home button failure, previous one also had yellow tint, but it completely disappeared because i've used it a lot. Got my replacement 5 days ago, ever since then I noticed a yellow band (probably the adhesive glue) on the bottom screen, but I'm gonna do some research and see if the yellow band accross the screen disappeared. It's been past 5 days. Probably might go back and get it checked out.

However, it is very likely that even if you do get a replacement phone that it would still have that yellow tint screen, could be worse, could be better from your replacement. Just have to take the risk of doing it.

yellow screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.