Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to choose which certificate to use in Mail?

I digitally sign my emails. I just got a new cert, but I still have an additional one for the same email in my Keychain. How do I select which cert to use? I want to use the new one, but Mail seems to be automatically choosing the old one. Thanks for any assistance.

MBP 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 7:13 AM

6 replies

Aug 4, 2012 2:59 AM in response to cgtyoder

Solved: 🙂

I know this thread is old, but I think I have sorted the answer by trial and error and I came across this while researching exactly the same question. I'm using OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Although OS X / Mail automatically chooses the certificate, the preference can be set in Keychain Access. In your email certificate list, right click and then select 'New Identity Preference'. Type in the email address you wish to amend and then select your choice of certificate from the drop down list.

Doing this sorted my problem, since I was seeing errors due to Mail selecting the wrong email certificate.

As an aside, it is easier and more obvious if you are trying to do the same thing on an iOS device. The account details for each email account will show you which certificate is being used and allow you to select your preference.

Mark

User uploaded file

How to choose which certificate to use in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.