Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rendering maximum white on Cinema HD

HELLO!

I am having a problem rendering a JPG image correctly on an Apple Cinema HD display (model A1082) on an OSX 10.5 system. The image is supposed to have a smooth fade-out to a pure white background.

Test image 1 - The fade-out has a sharp drop on Cinema HD, roughly where the two red arrows are:
http://webdev.humeimaging.com/kalle/test1.jpg

The fade-out is smooth on all of these monitors:
-Apple Cinema A1081 monitor on OSX 10.4 (not Cinema HD)
-Apple Cinema A1081 monitor on Windows7 (not Cinema HD)
-A crappy Phillips LCD on Windows XP
-A crappy ASUS LCD on Windows XP
-Some China-LCD brand called Proview on Windows7

The test image was created from scratch in Photoshop as an RGB 8bit image, saved as JPG (high - 60 compression).

I ran through the Cinema HD monitor and colour settings in OSX preferences, tweaked it out as best I could. Twice.

After investigating I discovered that there are rendering issues anytime some image pixels have RGB values 255,255,255 (maximum white) or 254,254,254 for an image on my Cinema HD. This is what is happening at the end of the fade. The last band of color is 254,254,254. You can select it with magic wand in Photoshop to see what I'm talking about.

As a test, I re-built the image to now have a background as 253,253,253. Voila, the fade-out looks smooth on the Cinema HD, as well as all the other monitors.

Test image 2 - The fade-out is smooth on Cinema HD, and all other monitors:
http://webdev.humeimaging.com/kalle/test2.jpg

BUT this is not a favourable solution!!!

Essentially it means that forever into the future we (the web designers I work with) always have to use 253,253,253 as max-white for everything we do... in Photoshop, in code... everywhere. This is fine (although a real big pain in the ***) for stuff we create from scratch, but a lot of stuff we deal with comes from the outside where we don't have that control.

QUESTION 1 - Is there any other solution, other than the above 253,253,253 trick?

QUESTION 2 - What is this visual quirk related to? Contrast ratio? Brightness? Color temperature? RGB vs CMYK? Gamma? Gamut?

QUESTION 3 - Does anyone else out there see the issue on their Cinema HD?

QUESTION 4 - Any other popular monitor brands/models out there with a similar issues?

I found no info on the net about this, maybe I was searching wrong? I used keywords like I use above.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 10:19 AM

There are no replies.

Rendering maximum white on Cinema HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.