Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad bug with ID3 tags of different case for same artist

My itunes files and music library are on a different drive than my boot drive. It is an internal drive (always on) in my Mac Pro at /Volumes/Media1/iTunes with music library at /Volumes/Media1/iTunes/iTunes Music. iTunes is setup to automatically keep it organized and copy files to the media folder when adding. It has been this way for years, never a problem.

Just recently, and I think this may have coincided (but I'm not sure) with a 10.6.5 Snow Leopard update, my music started disappearing! The entries were still in the library, but with the missing exclamation mark in itunes with it reporting that it couldn't find the files. But only certain artists. After searching my computer, I found the missing files it at the same path, but on my boot drive, at /Media1/iTunes/iTunes Music/<missing artist>!

Trying to add these files back to my library would work briefly, but then they would magically disappear out of /Volumes/Media1/iTunes/iTunes Music and go back to /Media1/iTunes/iTunes Music/

I figured out the one thing the different artists that had this behavior had in common - some of the ID3 tags for the same artist, which are the basis for organization, were in different cases. I think there is a weird case sensitivity bug that is breaking things. When I add back only those songs for an artist with ID3 tags for the artist of the same case, the behaviour stops.

I'm posting less looking for an answer and more to raise visibility and hope this gets a fix.

Example entries from my iTunes Library.xml, notice how the 'k' in OutKast is a different case in the entries.

<key>Artist</key><string>OutKast</string>
<key>Location</key><string> file://localhost/Volumes/Media1/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/OutKast/Speakerboxxx,%20Th e%20Love%20Below%20(Disc%202)/13%20Pink%20&%20Blue.mp3</string>
<key>Artist</key><string>Outkast</string>
<key>Location</key><string> file://localhost/Volumes/Media1/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Outkast/Aquemini/12%20Spot tieOttieDopaliscious.mp3</string>

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), NA

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 8:23 PM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2010 3:56 PM in response to petegas4life

I'd like to note that I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I'd add to this but petegas4life has it spot on. I'm just replying in hopes this thread gets noticed so the engineers at apple can look into this and hopefully fix it in the next release.

Reproducing the problem is pretty simple too. Just take one song from an album and change the case of the artist name. You'll see the music move to the boot drive and all of the songs from that artist won't work in itunes anymore. And if you're relying on iTunes to edit the tags, fixing the files is a PAIN because they keep disappearing on you.

Apr 1, 2011 3:49 PM in response to DMoroni

The bug seems to have gotten worse, now when I correct the ID3 Tags outside of iTunes, and re-import, it will import most of the album just fine, and on occasion a few songs will be automatically deleted. I then will try to reimport those individual songs, and they will import, and then delete. I will even watch the location in finder where the file will appear, and then disappear (usually during the analyzing track volume step of the import).

May 22, 2011 8:30 AM in response to DMoroni

This bug seems to be working a little differently in version 10.2.2, not only with what songs itunes chooses to move, but it also moves them to a differnet location "[osx install drive]/iTunes Music/Music/ " instead of "[osx install drive]/iTunes/"

I really hope someone's working on this because it is MADDENING!!!!

Bad bug with ID3 tags of different case for same artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.