Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 Projects Have to Be 30fps?

I have a Panasonic TM700 which shoots 1080p60. I used an automator script to rewrap the .mts file as an m4v file and then dropped it into an iMovie Event in the Finder. I then right-clicked on it in iMovie and converted it to the Apple Intermediate Codec for editing. However, when I went to create a project, I noticed that the only option is for 30fps, not 60. Also, when I created a project, it would not let me add the 60fps clip. Yet I seem to remember reading that iMovie 11 supports 1080p at 60fps.

Does everything that iMovie does result in movies that are 30fps or less?

I'm a real novice when it comes to video stuff, so if anyone can shed any light here I'd appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 17" 3GB RAM/Mac Pro 2.66 13GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 24" iMac, MacBook, 32GB iPod Touch, Apple TV

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 1:09 PM

38 replies

Nov 19, 2010 3:49 PM in response to Alan Cook2

Tom: I thought maybe I read that on these forums, but maybe not. I'm still a bit confused and just trying to get my head around resolution and frame rates so that I at least have a few clues what I'm doing. I work in graphic design and in that realm I always want to start with the highest resolution/quality available and attempt to maintain it in the workflow as much as possible. Maybe I'm trying too hard to do that in my home video projects. I've been shooting in 1080i60 since I got the camcorder a few weeks ago, but keep wondering if I should be shooting in 1080p60. But then when it involves workarounds to even get the footage into iMovie one wonders if it's worth the trouble.

Guy: I just found a web site where the guy talks about editing the iMovie plist file to make it work with 1080p60, but he doesn't describe the process in any detail--just notes that it can be done. Find it about half way down this page:

http://ianperegian.com/MyFZ35_38_Webpage/SD700_CamcorderTesting.html

Nov 19, 2010 5:32 PM in response to GuyHolmes

It maintains the frame rate in the event library but the project is 30 FPS. I figured it would get hosed on export. If I do a plain export/share it is 30. If I do a custom export at 60 not sure how I would know but WTH lets try.

(2 mins later)

Nope... unless there is something I can change in the plist or project file, when I do a custom QT export with "current frame rate" I get 30 FPS.

Nov 19, 2010 5:47 PM in response to Daniel Slagle

Here are the instructions I found on another web site for editing the plist to force iMovie to accept 60 fps project files (the guy is Australian so he's talking about 50/25 fps, but he says further on that it works for 60/30 as well):

It is very important to change the iMovie '09 internal preferences so as to preserve the 50fps progressive. If you don't do that, iMovie will convert your 50fps down to 25fps. To set the preferences within iMovie '09, as described on one of the Apple forums, you need to access the hidden plist files in iMovie.

4.First download and install PListEditPro from:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/plisteditpro.html

Make sure that you have quit iMovie, then:
Look in the /Users/(your name)/Library/Preferences folder for the com.apple.imovie8.plist file (or simply search with Find for that file)
Copy the com.apple.imovie8.plist file and name it com.apple.imovie8.25fps.plist
Look at the "More info" for the com.apple.imovie8.plist file, and where it says "open with", check that is says "PlistEditPro (default)"
Double click on the com.apple.imovie8.plist file, and a new window with a list of files will come up.
Scroll down through that list of files to find "videoFrameRate" (near the bottom)
This will show "Number: 25" (assuming you have previously set up your iMovie for PAL and not NSTC; for NSTC it will show 30)
Change this value from 25 to 50 (for NSTC you would change from 30 to 60)
Do File > Save and close

You have now changed iMovie so that when it imports a video clip it will retain 50fps. (However, because you now have two different Plist files, you can simply change back to the original 25fps setting if you ever need to, by renaming the files, since iMovie will only use the file that is called "com.apple.imovie8.plist".)

Nov 20, 2010 12:17 AM in response to Alan Cook2

Yes I know Ian Perrigan's website and its a good one. There is also another by David Glover who is another very well known iMovie expert.

He has written a guide for using the TM700 series on a Mac and updated it for iMovie 11. It was here I saw the reference to being able to use 50 / 60fps - Knew I'd seen it somewhere !! I can't vouch for its accuracy as I'm not using 11 yet.

http://www.davidglover.org/2010/06/using-panasonic-700-series-5060fps-video-on-t he-mac.html

But I quote from that page .............

2b. Using iMovie ’11

It is possible to keep the 50fps frame rate using iMovie.

Import the converted video into iMovie, and turn on the “Optimize” option, setting it to “Full – Original Size”. (Note that this used to say “off”, but in iMovie 11, you need to turn it on. iMovie 11 preserves the frame rate.)

If you want to preserve the high frame rate on export, you’ll need to use “Export using QuickTime” to export to MP4 and manually choose 50 (or 60) fps, or iMovie will default to 25/30.

If you don’t care about the frame rate, you can use iMovie’s other “Share” menu options, but these will convert to 25 or 30fps. You’ll still get better quality than you would if you’d shot in 1080i, so you may be happy with this.

Nov 20, 2010 12:20 AM in response to Daniel Slagle

Just to say, I have used Plisteditpro with iMovie 09 and it worked as planned.

Was able to reset the Frame Rate, imported the video and worked on it at 50fps then exported at 720p50 and it looked really good. I certainly looked as if the frame rate had been maintained throughout, rather than any frame doubling or tricks at the export phase.

My computer is getting on a bit and really doesn't cope with 1080p50 so the editing process wasn't really practical in the real world, but 720p50 seems to work just fine and looks good

Nov 20, 2010 5:41 AM in response to Daniel Slagle

Dan,

After more research it appears that *you don't actually need to change the plist setting to get 1080p at 60fps out of iMovie.* I took a 24 second clip from my Panasonic TM700 (shot at 1080p60), rewrapped the .mts as an .m4v file so it would import to iMovie and then imported it using File>Import>Movies. In the import window I checked "Optimize Video - Full - Original Size". I then placed this clip into a project and then did a Share>Export using QuickTime and chose 59.97 as the framerate and 1920 x 1080 as the size. It took 10 minutes or more to export, but the end result was a 1080p clip at 60 fps.

Nov 20, 2010 6:33 AM in response to Isaac Bardin

Beware that you aren't just getting what you asked for rather than what you want .......

I think you are correct (without having tried it), but of course if you ask iMovie to export to Quicktime at 60fps, that is what you will get - You need to make sure however that the video that you are importing into iMovie 11 and editing is definitely 60fps.

You could import standard NTSC DV at 30fps and ask for a 60fps export and it will give it to you, by simply doubling the frames. What you are trying to achieve with iMovie or with plisteditpro, is to ensure that iMovie 11 is importing your 1080p60 footage and maintaining that frame rate throughout the editing process. I think the easiest way to check that is to scrub through the video frame by frame and just check how many frames there are per second - You need to have preferences selected to show HH:MM:Frames and also Show Info at Playhead - These are iMovie 09 settings, so would just have to see if that works in iM'11

iMovie 11 Projects Have to Be 30fps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.