Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Trackpad driver from Boot Camp 3.2 (Win7 64bit)

Hi there,

today I installed the *Boot Camp 3.2 update* which comes with an update for the Trackpad driver (Apple Multitouch 3.2.0.1).

After the update, the regular "click & drag" on the trackpad did not work reliably. Selecting text or trying to move a Window did not work most of the time when pressing down on the trackpad and then moving the finger.

With "Tap to click" enabled, I could double-tap and then move the finger to select or move. Sometimes, a regular click also did work, but only for a short time.

This issue sounds familiar to what has been described in http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2635814&tstart=0.

For now, uninstalling the "Apple Multitouch" driver from the "Programs and Features" control panel fixed this issue for me, the trackpad is working correctly again.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Boot Camp 3.2 update?

Windows 7

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 1:37 PM

12 replies

Nov 20, 2010 9:43 AM in response to Bernd Kuemmerlen

Perhaps the Boot Camp 3.2 update did not install properly. I had this problem (was left with either Boot Camp 3.1 or an incomplet/damaged 3.2, could not quite tell). But I FIXED it.

See http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12615807#12615807 for a way to fix the installation IF the problem was the same as mine, the UAC settings not allowing the install or repair of BootCamp Services.

Dec 23, 2010 11:26 AM in response to CVV88

I have the same problem.

I had to uninstall and reinstall bootcamp and be sure that the 3.2 update was not applied.

It seems to be a 100% repro, once you install 3.2 things break after a few usages (not inmediately) but once it happens the problem remains and fails consistently. Disabling the second button fixes the behavior but you lose the functionality, of course.

The effect is extremly annoying; you can not drag a windows or highlight text and you get right clicks when pressing with a single finger, this behavior of course, makes the trackpad unusable.

I hope we will see a fix soon.

Dec 23, 2010 5:33 PM in response to MMind

The only way that you can be sure that Apple has made note of this issue is by contacting:

www.apple.com/feedback

Also I would suggest you email Steve Jobs. He is quite responsive and I suspect your email will get a response from someone at Apple.

Good luck!

P.S. You may want to post a video to www.youtube.com this way Apple can see the problem.

Jan 11, 2011 11:21 PM in response to Bernd Kuemmerlen

Having the same issue. It looks like the new Multitouch driver changes some of the regions used for click and drag. In version 3.2.0.1, to click and drag one has to use the right hand corner, an odd step backwards from the previous behavior.

I can confirm that uninstalling the Multitouch 3.2.0.1 driver package as listed in Programs and Features works. This forces the multitouch driver to rollback to the version from Bootcamp 3.1.

I wouldn't write to Steve about it, but leaving some feedback is a good idea.

Jan 29, 2011 3:45 PM in response to Bernd Kuemmerlen

Hi thanks for the tips, The touchpad works pretty well for me but I just have one gripe. When using OSX I can click with one finger then drag with another finger from my other hand which I find very convenient. This is not possible with the bootcamp 3.2 driver on Windows 7. I have to click and drag with the same finger which means keeping the pressure on while dragging. It's easier to let go and mis-select this way.

I've installed Windows 7 64bit on an Oct 2010 Macbook Air using Bootcamp 3.2.

Only a small thing - it's basically usable, but wondering if anyone has the same trouble.

PS I tried uninstalling the multitouch drivers as you suggested and the touchpad stopped working. When I rebooted Windows installed some default driver that gave basic but not sufficient functionality. This was fixed by reinstalling bootcamp 3.2. Did you mean to only delete the old v 3.1 driver? - if so please mention that as following your instructions basically disabled my touchpad.

Jan 29, 2011 4:00 PM in response to Windy Man

PS I've worked out that this feature (click with one finger drag with another) does actually work if you stick to clicking near the bottom of the touch pad. This is different to the way my previous Macbook Pro worked - Apple could explain these things better to save frustration but I'm happy now - Touchpad works well with Bootcamp 3.2 driver

Feb 2, 2011 8:56 AM in response to Bernd Kuemmerlen

Having this problem too; started my own thread here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2728774&tstart=0. I tried your suggestion about removing the "Apple Multitouch" driver, and while it allows me to retain right-click and two-finger scrolling functionality for a longer period of time, it still goes away after awhile. I have submitted the problem via Apple's Feedback website; hopefully there will be a Boot Camp update soon. Thanks for the idea though!

Feb 23, 2011 7:51 PM in response to briangisguy

I have virtually the same machine and setup as you do and, of course, am having the same problem. Does Apple's tech support review these pages for bug fixes? I have a feeling that the feedback site doesn't get a whole lot of traffic from the IT's.

For now I'll be using a wireless mouse. Not having right-click (even with the appropriate key depressed) slows normal use in Windows to an agonizing pace.

Customer service and satisfaction monitoring is certainly lacking for Bootcamp.

Problem with Trackpad driver from Boot Camp 3.2 (Win7 64bit)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.