Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why USB 3.0 is slower than SATA

I've been testing both LaCie and CalDigit USB 3.0 host adapters (PCIe and ExpressCard) on the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. CalDigit's adapters have one big advantage: they work with all USB 3.0 enclosures. LaCie's adapters only work with LaCie USB 3.0 enclosures.

After posting some benchmark results, I pointed out that the 5Gb/s USB 3.0 adapters were slower than the 3Gb/s SATA adapters. I received a very interesting response from Chris Karr one of the engineering directors of Western Digital where he explains why USB 3.0 adapters are slower and how the bridge chips in adapters could be modified to squeeze out the full speed potential of USB 3.0. I posted his comments on this page under the subtitle "COUNTERPOINT":
http://www.barefeats.com/hard136.html

Message was edited by: rob_ART

One of everything Apple makes, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 5:20 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2010 2:07 AM in response to rob_ART

Thanks for the work and sharing. I've watched the comments on Marvel chipset used by Gigabyte and others and the poor performance of their motherboards with the USB3/SATA chip.

Giving laptop owners something more than USB2, anything, but include an eSATA port that has so far not happened on any Mac other than with 'surgery' such as the OWC iMac upgrade, to make external storage more useful.

One thing with USB3, there is enough power to charge an iPad!

Nov 20, 2010 6:37 AM in response to rob_ART

Recently I purchased a USB 3.0 1TB LaCie d2 with the USB PCI card for use with a new Mac Pro. My purpose was to use it as an external bootable backup. The PCI card install is just as easy as you would suspect. The drivers were problematic. Sometimes the LaCie would mount on the desktop and sometimes not. During my experimenting it took uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers about every second or third boot. I did that 4 different times during the brief time I had the device. There was one deal-breaker for me. No matter what tricks I tried, I was unable to boot from the LaCie.

After contacting tech support and being bumped up to a higher level than the first tier tech support it was finally agreed upon to give me a refund. My assumption which was not confirmed or commented upon by the engineers was that the drivers were system level and the drive was not recognized in EFI so bootability was lacking. I should add that when I did get the drive functioning and performed a SuperDuper backup of my system the speed was almost exactly 2x that of FireWire 800 when cloning a drive with about 670GB of data. Unfortunately I couldn't boot from it...

Nov 20, 2010 7:37 AM in response to The hatter

The value of an external bootable drive is grab-and-go in emergencies. In the last three years we've been threatened twice by forest fires and had to evacuate during one of them. No time for moving a whole system but grab a backup and I'm good to continue a digital life even if the physical one is destroyed.

I wish I had known about the inability to boot from a PCI card in the new Mac Pros but am grateful you mentioned that, Hatter. My last OWC FW800 external backup has some internal connection issue so it is time for a new external backup. You saved me from discovering that a PCI eSata card would be a losing strategy.

However it appears that the Newer eSata Cable Extender which connects to one of the optical ports will provide on eSata connector which is supposed to be bootable (according to OWC's Tech Support). Here's hoping!

Message was edited by: Welles Goodrich

Nov 20, 2010 8:19 AM in response to Welles Goodrich

The NewerTech came out and was mostly intended for when the ports were there but not used. Otherwise just put a drive in lower optical drive bay as you don't have spare ODD ports in 2009.

MaxUpgrades does have a kit meant for SSDs but includes PCI Express card, just haven't seen what they use.

I have not had an issue with OWC FW800 cases (knock on wood) but I have replaced and upgraded the drives a couple times over.

Why USB 3.0 is slower than SATA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.