Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10-bit per color channel Mini DisplayPort output macbook pro

Hello All,

I'm thinking of buying a new 15" MacBook Pro, but I have a technical question. I know this model has a Mini DisplayPort output, my the idea is to connect the macbook to my display, an EIZO CG243W display to his DisplayPort input and have support for 10 bit per channel color deep . My question is, provides the Display Port output of the new macbook pro a density of 10-bit color per channel (Full 30-bit Display Pipeline)? It makes sense to use the displayport output of the macbook for a full 10-bit color per channel?

Thanks you very much.

Miguel.

Windows PC, Windows XP Pro, -

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 12:38 PM

No drivers from Nvidia to support this. No support from Adobe either in CS5. The HW can do it. But driver support does not appear to be there yet. The only support I know of on OS X are the Fire and Quadro cards (because they wrote the drivers). But they need a PCI slot.
4 replies

Nov 20, 2010 1:05 PM in response to BoyHowdyDoo

Thanks you BoyHowdyDoo for the reply,

Must I understand then it comes down to a matter of software? Which means that in the future, if nvidia decided to support 10-bit to their GT 330M on the macbook pro cards and Adobe decided to support 10-bit to their adobe photoshop i will can work at 10-bit on the macbook pro?

And, you mean that, today, even if buy a Mac Pro and a Quadro or Fire card I can not work at 10-bit per channel because CS5 do not support it?

Thanks in advance.

Miguel.

Message was edited by: TheMrSandMan

Nov 20, 2010 1:39 PM in response to TheMrSandMan

Yes. software. They may support it down the road. But you may have a new machine by that time.

Yes even today last reports from adobe suggest no support in CS5, at least the Design packages.

New stuff is coming out all the time and my info could be outdated. But there are a few apps that do take advantage of 10-bit (google it). At that point you will need to have a quadro or fire card to take advantage. They are the only cards with drivers for 10-bit at the moment.

10-bit per color channel Mini DisplayPort output macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.