Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Fresh and copy user info

I am upgrading my HD on a MacBook Pro Core 2 duo and want to start from scratch installing Snow Leopard and all applications (will be getting newer versions of some). Current HD has Snow Leopard.

Plan is to remove old HD, install new one. Old drive will be moved to an external enclosure. Snow leopard and all new applications will be installed. Then I will need to move everything in the document folder ( I assume just copy the files/folders from old to new drive). However, I do not believe documents contains movies, music, mail (folders and emails), and possibly other stuff I am not thinking about. How do I determine the location of and move this data?

I do not want to clone to the new HD because I want to start fresh. Perhaps I could install all of the apps and then use Migration Assistant? I am unfamiliar with this process. Can I deselect some items in the documents folder to migrate or is it all or nothing? My Parallels virtual disk is there and I want to install the latest version of parallels, create a new virtual disk and install newer versions of software on the windows side. Of course, I assume I would need to copy all data from the virtual disk to a CD or memory stick before removing the old HD from the mac so I can copy it back to the new virtual disk.

How is the best way to approach this?

G5 and MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 8:16 AM

7 replies

Nov 20, 2010 9:07 AM in response to Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson wrote:
... want to start from scratch installing Snow Leopard and all applications (will be getting newer versions of some) ... Old drive will be moved to an external enclosure

when the new OS X install boots for 1st time, +*setup assistant+* will launch. use [ these|http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/SetupAsst.html] instructions to migrate what you want from the old drive in the enclosure (assuming the enclosure is firewire capable).

J GG

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2010 9:36 AM in response to Jolly Giant

Jolly Giant wrote:
when the new OS X install boots for 1st time, +*setup assistant+* will launch. use [ these | http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/SetupAsst.html ] instructions to migrate what you want from the old drive in the enclosure (assuming the enclosure is firewire capable).

well those directions state: "Usually, the best way is to use Setup Assistant, when you start up your new Mac. It will set the new Mac up just like the old one: all configuration, settings, users and data, and all applications (except newer versions already installed). "

How does one install newer versions of software when the Mac must be booted from it's HD thus making the statement "(except newer versions already installed)" irrelevant? Since Setup Assistant comes up when you first boot up the OS?

Also, I do not want to migrate everything.

So, if I install Snow Leopard, then reboot the Mac, I should use Setup Assistant and select Users, Settings, Other Files and Folders. When finished I can manually delete my Windows virtual disk in Documents, install all new apps, then parallels, then Windows in parallels, then other apps in windows and then finally documents and files in windows?

I have been having issues with the mac and wonder if some of it is due to settings. Should this be copied or set up again? Setting up again would be difficult but would it be best?

The enclosure is firewire 800 capable.

Nov 20, 2010 9:47 AM in response to Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson wrote:
How does one install newer versions of software when the Mac must be booted from it's HD

you do a +fresh install+ by booting from the OS X install DVD, erase and/or partition the internal drive using *disk utility* on the install DVD, then running the installation.

when the +new installation+ boots for the 1st time, SA launches automatically.

@ that point, connect the enclosure to your Mac and wait for it to become available in SA. now make your selection(s) as to what you want SA to migrate over.

Also, I do not want to migrate everything.

i am aware 😉

So, if I install Snow Leopard, then reboot the Mac, I should use Setup Assistant and select Users, Settings, Other Files and Folders. When finished I can manually delete my Windows virtual disk in Documents, install all new apps, then parallels, then Windows in parallels, then other apps in windows and then finally documents and files in windows?

that is so.

I have been having issues with the mac and wonder if some of it is due to settings. Should this be copied or set up again?

if you had issues, i would just do what you said above ("I should use Setup Assistant and select Users, Settings, Other Files and Folders."), then install your 3rd party apps manually.

since you migrated +other files and folders+, you will find that you won't have to re-enter your license #'s since your old .plist files were copied over along with user etc.

Setting up again would be difficult but would it be best?

it would be more involving and take longer, that's for sure ...

what kind of problems were you having ?

J GG

User uploaded file

edited by the Jolly Green Giant (where Green stands for environmentally friendly)

Nov 20, 2010 10:19 AM in response to Rick Wilson

As the Jolly Giant noted, the clean install is a waste of time. You should fix your current issues before switching. Also, remove the apps you no longer want before proceeding. Then, install the OS onto the new HD and on first boot migrate your stuff, run Software Update, install the new stuff, repair permissions, and restart.

Nov 20, 2010 10:30 AM in response to Jolly Giant

These issues may not be related to settings.

1. Got the 10.6.3 bluetooth bug but by the time I realized it I was beyond 10.6.3. Everything online says (back when the bug was noted) to rerun the 10.6.3 update. That update won't run now. Hoping a fresh install and an update to the latest version will fix that.

2. 1 USB port does not work. It may be a hardware issue. I don't know. Out of warranty now - 3 year warranty expired in June.

3. Overall slowness. Assumed to be related to small HD and some outdated apps. Have about 20 gb left on 250 gb drive (4200 rpm). Uprading to 500 Gb 5400 rpm drive.

Most current software has been patched over the years (software updates). Want to install new current versions of most. Instead of just uninstalling and reinstalling newer version, I really don't want any non-used files left on the Mac.

Nov 20, 2010 10:37 AM in response to Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson wrote:
1. Got the 10.6.3 bluetooth bug

can't say i heard of that - but that doesn't mean much 😉

2. 1 USB port does not work. It may be a hardware issue. I don't know

run _*Apple Hardware Test*_ and find out.

3. Have about *20 gb left* on 250 gb drive (4200 rpm).

way too little ! you need *at least* 10-15 %

Uprading to 500 Gb 5400 rpm drive.

good.

I really don't want any non-used files left on the Mac.

okay, no problem with that ... but plan to invest a lot of time

good luck !

J GG

User uploaded file

Reinstall Fresh and copy user info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.