Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

European Maps

Looking for a map application for Europe (Poland, Germany, Italy, etc.) that will work with the ipod 4. Obviously GPS is out. Are there any that will work with wi-fi as far as locating current position. I will not be driving so I don't need turn by turn but will be traveling by bus & train. Would also like the map to include details (street names, etc.) so I can find my way walking.

Does such an app exist? I know there may not be too may free wi-fi hotspots available but I think I read somewhere that locations can be somewhat determined when an ipod finds a locked wi-fi signal. Is this true?

What should I get to help find my way around?

G5 and MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 9:17 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2010 10:24 AM in response to Rick Wilson

Yes the 4G (and some other) iPods have a location service that uses wifi hotspots to determine location. It does that from a data base that companies have created by correlating SID (maybe MAC address too) to location. I do not know in the locations that you want how well wifi hot spots have been compiled for location.

If Google has maps for where you want to go you can make routes where you have a wifi connect and save them with screen shots.

European Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.