Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA can't find preferred network after sleep mode

Hi
Not sure if this is a MacBook Air problem, but I can't connect to my preferred wireless network when 'waking-up' from sleep. Will connect automatically on restart.
Not a problem with my old 07 MY MacBook.
Is this a fast start-up from sleep mode SSD memory issue ?

MacBook Air 11", Mac OS X (10.6.5), 128GB SSD 4GB DDR3

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 1:27 PM

81 replies

Nov 23, 2010 5:10 PM in response to Simon Catton

Simon Catton wrote:
Hi
Not sure if this is a MacBook Air problem, but I can't connect to my preferred wireless network when 'waking-up' from sleep. Will connect automatically on restart.
Not a problem with my old 07 MY MacBook.
Is this a fast start-up from sleep mode SSD memory issue ?

Did you try a permission repair, verify disk and reset PRAM?

User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2010 8:09 PM in response to Simon Catton

I'm having the EXACT same problem. You're not alone. Just upgraded to a MacBook Air from a 2007 black MacBook.

I never had trouble connecting to my preferred networks on my old mac. But with the Air it takes a about 30 - 45 seconds to connect to my internet. And I have to keep refreshing my homepage until it finally loads up.

I feel it has to do with the instant start up. Maybe the computer turns on so fast that the airport doesn't connect to the web in time. But it seems so silly, Apple is better than that.

I look forward to hearing a resolution.

Nov 28, 2010 5:35 AM in response to Simon Catton

I've found that when resuming from sleep (lid closed), that my MacBook always wants to fall back to first Preferred Wireless network stored and listed under the AirPort Advanced Settings. This happens even if prior to Sleep Mode I had chosen another wireless network at my house, as I have three to choose from.

I suggest taking a look at the AirPort Advanced Settings and confirm that the wireless networks are listed in the correct order, and that you haven't selected any optional settings to adversely affect your wireless startup.

Nov 28, 2010 5:51 AM in response to Simon Catton

What fixed it for me seemed to be a combination of:
- downloading the firmware update via the Apple site, not the Software Update
- updating my Airport Express router
- allowing the computer to run all chron scripts over a week

Not that I know anything about this sort of stuff! But I experienced the same issue when I first got my MBA, and after doing the above, the issue has not returned, and the computer is 100% reliable.

Nov 28, 2010 6:00 AM in response to Simon Catton

UPDATE
To be quite honest, I have found this only happened on one wireless network at a family members home. I don't appear to have the same problem on the wireless network in my home.

I did try the above suggestions re. the advanced settings in Network, including removing all existing preferred networks and starting a fresh with only that wireless network. But still no joy.

Makes me think it was a problem with that specific wireless modem.
But then again that would not explain why it worked with the 2007 MacBook running 10.6.5

Simon

Nov 28, 2010 6:13 AM in response to Simon Catton

Just another note.
When waking from sleep and looking for the 'preferred' network, it would list it in the found networks, but would not have the password characters (dots, greyed) already filled in.
I tried inputing the correct password but would always result in 'invalid password'
I checked the Keychain prefs and found that the password had been saved for this network.
Again, not a problem on restart, just sleep mode.
Not sure if this helps....

Nov 28, 2010 3:44 PM in response to Simon Catton

Next time you connect to the network hold the Option key down and click on the AIrPort Menu Extra and note the RSSI value.

A good RSSI is usually between -35 and -75. Anything lower than -80 and you are really at the edge of the network and there are other factors that come into play when you attempt to connect to the network.
Try moving close to the AP and then sleep wake a couple times and verify. Move the network you want to join to the top of the Preferred Lists.
Also which channel is this wireless network on ?
Pick channels 36-48 if you are in 5 Ghz mode. Also make sure your network is not hidden as it sometimes complicates things.

Dec 11, 2010 3:07 PM in response to Simon Catton

This just happened today out of the blue. Reconnection has worked for months ( a year and a half) but this morning I closed the lid and left the house for a couple of hours then opened the lid and no reconnect to my hidden, but preferred network.

I seem to have fixed it as follows:

Turn off Airport, remove my preferred network from Network Preferences - Advanced - Airport tab, remove the corresponding airport network password entry from Keychain access (find that under Applications - Utilities folder), turn on Airport, no connection since it is a hidden network, click "Join other network" from "Airport Menu bar item", enter hidden network name, choose WPA2 (for my setup), enter password, check "Remember this network", click "Join", enter system password when asked.

This recreated the "Preferred networks" entry in the Network Preferences. I dragged it to the top of the list again. It also recreated the Keychain entry.

Turn off Airport, then turn on again. Reconnect worked!
Close lid, then open lid again. Reconnect worked!

What made it stop? Who knows! maybe closing the lid at the precise moment that keychain is being accessed by some other application maybe? My Time Machine icon showed a failure. Maybe it was starting up at the moment that I closed the lid. Maybe it just failed because the Airport didn't reconnect. I don't know. YMMV

Jan 9, 2011 10:30 AM in response to MeltingSnowtime

Thank you, I was having this problem with my MacBook Air as well and your steps resolved this issue. I have a hidden network (WPA Personal) at home and after closing the lid I would have to turn Airport off, then on again to join my home network. By removing the network AND the associated keychain entry, then rejoining the network, my computer now automatically joins my home network upon opening the lid.

Jan 12, 2011 6:02 AM in response to Simon Catton

"Makes me think it was a problem with that specific wireless modem.
But then again that would not explain why it worked with the 2007 MacBook running 10.6.5"

Nope! It's not going to be your router or your wireless netowrk. There is some deep firmware/driver/OS issue with the MBA that is clearly not working.

Don't let Apple bully you into thinking it's your network that's the problem when they need to get off their backsides and sort this out.

Jan 12, 2011 6:38 PM in response to Simon Catton

I've seen issue with this also, but it just hasn't been enough of a problem to bring up here, but since someone else did....
the only issue I've had is this...and it started a few weeks after I had the system. I just recently rebuilt the system from the USB flash (because of an Aperture/Final Cut Exp. issue -to prove a point), and I haven't had it happen since....

We'll see.

May 4, 2011 2:23 PM in response to MeltingSnowtime

Thank you so much, MeltingSnowTime! My computer had been finding my hidden network just fine until one day when the battery died, at which point I had to type everything in again to find my hidden network every time I put my computer to sleep or turned off my Airport! Your solution was finally the one that got it to find my hidden network again!

Jul 20, 2011 4:50 PM in response to Simon Catton

Hi all,

I had these two common problems and found solutions for them and wanted to share with all

PROBLEM #1: My macbook used to keep dropping the wireless connection every few minutes

SOLUTION: Connect to your router (192.168.0.1 if it was D-Link, and 192.168.2.1 if it was Belkin) and change the wireless settings so that it will not broadcast your SSID (ID or name of your wireless network). Change your SSID into something you can remember. Remove any security settings or passwords for your wireless. Two advantages: no one will know you have wireless connection, your wireless connection will be significantly faster without passwords or security settings. On your laptop look for hidden wireless networks by typing the exact name or SSID your chose for your network and ask your computer to remember this network. Voila, problem is solved.

PROBLEM #2: Recently my computer stopped connecting to my hidden wireless network when my laptop boots or wakes up from sleep even though i had it saved in my preferred networks.

SOLUTION: I connected to my wireless router (just like mentioned above, or using ethernet cable) and changed the network name or ID (or SSID) into something i have never used before (this is important). saved settings. connected to my network after searching for it using the new SSID name. Made the laptop remember this network. Voila, problem is solved.

P.S. if you forget the name (SSID) you chose for your hidden wireless network, simply connect your laptop to your router using ethernet cable then access the router software using 192.168.....etc.

I hope this is helpful to anyone out there. (if it did help please hit the 'Like' button on the bottom right for me to know it did)

Happy Surfing

MBA can't find preferred network after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.