Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popping and Squeeking when bottom of Macbook Air is touched or moved

Does anyone else experience squeaking or popping sounds coming from the base of their Macbook Air case (late 2010)? It seems like it makes noise every time I touch it. My unit is only 3 days out of the box, and I haven't taken it out of the house and I have not damaged it. I suspected a loose screw, but the screws on the bottom are WAY too small for any tools I have.

Is this something common?

Macbook Air (Late 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.5), Noisy Case

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 9:34 AM

I don't hear any noises like that. Is there is an Apple Store near you I'd take it there and have them look at it.
25 replies

Nov 22, 2010 7:06 PM in response to scpalmer138

scpalmer138 wrote:
Does anyone else experience squeaking or popping sounds
My unit is only 3 days out of the box

You have 14 days to send it back for new MBA, after that, its covered for 1yr for repair.
(If it was mine, it would already be on its way back. Apple makes it very easy. They will send to you a new MBA and a Fed-Ex Box to return it (I think you have to give a CC# for security). If you're near an Applestore, you can walk it in for a return.

Nov 23, 2010 4:48 AM in response to scpalmer138

I had the same issue. After a visit at the apple store, The apple genius said that the noises are within the manufacturer specifications. When I inquired about how would a manufacturer describe the specs regarding noise from the chassis, he didn't have an answer.
I chose to use my replacement option and the new machine is silent. it seems like a manufacturing defect.

Jan 14, 2011 11:11 AM in response to scpalmer138

Just got back from the apple store... see previous post.

I showed him the noise my MBA was making, and he also said this was not normal. I told him that from what I read on some of these forums is that some people have gotten the problem fixed by "reseating" their macbook, however, he tried this, left the genius bar for 5 minutes and said it did not fix the problem and told me they were going to give me a new one. He brought out the brand new MBA with my old hard drive in it so I did not have to set it up again.

I am now here with a brand new MBA. They replaced it on the spot, no questions asked, and my warranty restarts today. My old MBA was bought on Dec. 16th, 2010, so it has been nearly a month and they still replaced it no problem. Best customer service I've received in a long time. Props to Apple.

Popping and Squeeking when bottom of Macbook Air is touched or moved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.