Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OTA Profile Delivery and Config.: How to identify device in the phase 3.2?

Hello

I will be referring to http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptu al/iPhoneOTAConfiguration/Art/otadeveloper_flowchart.jpg

Maybe I am missing something but I can't find how to identify the device and its original request in the phase 3 step 2.

In the phase 2 step 1 I can use the challenge. But the challenge is missing in the phase 3 step 2.

Example:

User authenticates himself providing login/password and chooses the configuration to install. It means that in phase 1 step 4 the Profile Service knows what user+configuration is being requested. To track this request the Profile Service generates a challenge that will work like session identifier.

In phase 2 step 1 the Profile Service receives the device identification and the challenge. The challenge is used to track the user deviceconfiguration request. (For SCEP request I must use different challenge obtained from the SCEP admin page.)

In phase 3 step 2 the device sends the request for the final configuration. Unfortunately it sends no challenge to identify it anymore.

How can I identify the original user deviceconfiguration in the last phase? I see some possible solutions but any of them are not very clean:
a) use the URL with generated ID in phase 1 step 4 onwards.
b) use the DN of the device certificate where it's part would generated in the phase 2 step 1
c) use device UDID - this way the Profile Service can only track the device but not the specific request

What is the preferred way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Other OS

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 3:48 AM

3 replies

OTA Profile Delivery and Config.: How to identify device in the phase 3.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.