Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Management Oddity

I'm running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.5 and use Font Book to manage my font collection. Other than the system fonts all of my fonts are kept in libraries located in
/Users/Shared/Fonts/Active Fonts
so they can be accessed from any of my accounts, one administrator account, and several user accounts. The libraries are structured so that there are no duplicate fonts, that is, a given font will only reside in a single library.

The oddity is that once a font from any of the libraries is used in Pages that font remains available within Pages even after the containing library has been deleted from the library set for the using account. This oddity survives across shut downs and restarts.

This, at least to me, seems like unwanted behavior. I'm certainly open to suggestions and/or explanations as to why I might be wrong.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.5), 1.67 GHZ -- 17" -- 2 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 3:02 PM

14 replies

Nov 24, 2010 7:41 AM in response to James_L. Ryan

After some experimentation it appears, at least to me, that the following is happening with the iWork '09 applications, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers:

Each of the iWork applications remembers the six most recent fonts accessed, apparently remembering their locations on the drive. This explains why they are accessible even when the containing library is deleted from Font Book but not from the drive. If the font itself is deleted from the drive it no longer is accessible from the iWork applications and any text in that font will then be displayed with strange glyphs from some other font which I haven't identified.

Nov 24, 2010 9:56 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang stated...

==========
Font Book's default operation and preferences copy every font you activate to the either the /Library/Fonts/ folder, or the Fonts folder in the active user account. That is the one that is then used. So deleted the font(s) from the Shared folder doesn't remove the one Font Book is working with.
==========

As of this moment Font Book shows that I have 0 fonts in "User", 22 fonts in "Computer", 92 fonts in the library "01-Snow Leopard", and 20 fonts in the library "02-iLife". The "Library/Fonts" folder for my active account is empty. The "Cowboy/Library/Fonts" folder, where "Cowboy" is the name of the currently booted drive, is empty. The "Cowboy/System/Library/Fonts" folder contains 40 items. This suggests to me that the currently active fonts other than the system fonts, are not copied from where they reside within the "Cowboy/Users/Shared" folder.

Nov 24, 2010 10:05 AM in response to James_L. Ryan

This suggests to me that the currently active fonts other than the system fonts, are not copied from where they reside within the "Cowboy/Users/Shared" folder.

Sounds that way. As I noted, that was the way Font Book behaves by default. So I assume then that when you add your fonts, you use a Library set, rather then the normal set? Doing it that way adds the fonts "in place", without copying them anywhere.

Nov 24, 2010 10:17 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:
This suggests to me that the currently active fonts other than the system fonts, are not copied from where they reside within the "Cowboy/Users/Shared" folder.

Sounds that way. As I noted, that was the way Font Book behaves by default. So I assume then that when you add your fonts, you use a Library set, rather then the normal set? Doing it that way adds the fonts "in place", without copying them anywhere.

My usual procedure when new fonts are added to the system is to export them via Font Book and then place the exported fonts into the appropriate library within "Cowbooy/Users/Shared". An interesting, and to me "pleasant", aside is that such an export via Font Book places all the member files of a font family within an appropriately named folder.This makes copying or deleting a family much easier.

Nov 27, 2010 3:15 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:
Take a look in the the /Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts/iWork/ folder. Are any of these the fonts that remain active all the time?

It seems that the mystery thickens!

Just now I deleted the file named above in Kurt Lang's quoted posting. I then deleted all of my font libraries which left only the system fonts available in Font Book. I then restarted the computer and in turn opened the three iWork applications, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers in that order. Each of these applications in the font selector in their toolbar listed far more than just the system fonts, and random selections from the list worked even though the selections were of other than system fonts. And adding to the mystery is that the aforementioned deleted file had not been replaced.

Nov 27, 2010 3:39 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

Just now I deleted the file named above in Kurt Lang's quoted posting.

I'm confused. You said "file", singular. There should have been a whole bunch of fonts in that folder location. Did you remove all of them?

I then deleted all of my font libraries which left only the system fonts available in Font Book.

Removing the library listings in Font Book doesn't remove the fonts themselves. If they're still in any of the standard Fonts folders, they'll still show up in your applications.

Please copy/paste what fonts you have in the following folders here.

/System/Library/Fonts/
/Library/Fonts/
~/Library/Fonts/ (the Fonts folder in the currently active user account)

Nov 27, 2010 8:22 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:
Just now I deleted the file named above in Kurt Lang's quoted posting.

I'm confused. You said "file", singular. There should have been a whole bunch of fonts in that folder location. Did you remove all of them?

I deleted the folder /Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts/iWork. As I mentioned in my prior posting this folder was not recreated with subsequent openings of Pages, Keynote, or Numbers.
I then deleted all of my font libraries which left only the system fonts available in Font Book.

Removing the library listings in Font Book doesn't remove the fonts themselves. If they're still in any of the standard Fonts folders, they'll still show up in your applications.

Please copy/paste what fonts you have in the following folders here.

/System/Library/Fonts/

A screenshot showing what fonts are in the file "/System/Library/Fonts/" is in the like named
folder within the "Font Problem" folder within the Public folder of my taliesinsoft iDisk. Here there should only be those "system fonts" installed by Snow Leopard.

/Library/Fonts/

As above but in "/Library/Fonts/". There are no fonts in this location.

~/Library/Fonts/ (the Fonts folder in the currently active user account)

As above but in "Adventures/Library/Fonts/". "Adventures" is the user account under discussion. There are no fonts in this location.

I do want to say that I fully appreciate your taking the time to work through this oddity with me!

Nov 28, 2010 8:24 AM in response to James_L. Ryan

As I mentioned in my prior posting this folder was not recreated with subsequent openings of Pages, Keynote, or Numbers.

That was the confusing part. You had said above, the aforementioned deleted file had not been replaced. So I was wondering which file you were referring to. It makes sense now though, now that you've noted you meant the entire iWork folder. That folder is installed by the Snow Leopard disk itself, so the only way it would come back would be for the user to restore it.

within the Public folder of my taliesinsoft iDisk. Here there should only be those "system fonts" installed by Snow Leopard.

No link, or idea how to access your iDisk account. But regardless, you've also noted there should be nothing there but the fonts OS X installs. With the other two Fonts folders empty, that takes all of those locations out of consideration.

Need to think a bit more.

Nov 28, 2010 11:14 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Just to see if it made a difference somehow, I duplicated your procedure. Created a new Library set in Font Book and then exported the fonts to an identically named folder hierarchy (/Users/Shared/Fonts/Active Fonts). Disabled the fonts in Font Book, and as expected, they no longer showed up in any applications. Removed the Library set and also no fonts anywhere. Which of course makes complete sense since no application will normally find any fonts there by itself.

I say "normally" though, since something obviously is. I can only guess iWork itself is remembering where the last set of fonts were opened from, and linking to them on its own. Completely a guess though since I don't have iWork, or iLife, so can't test that theory.

Nov 28, 2010 8:22 PM in response to Kurt Lang

A couple of things...

To access my iDisk you need to access the following location using the menubar in Fiinder

"Go>iDisk>Other User's Public Folder"

and then enter my username "taliesinsoft". There you will find the folder I previously mentioned.

Also, I thought it would be helpful if I wrote a brief description detailing just how my fonts are organized. I'll have that posted within the next day or two.

Font Management Oddity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.