Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay does not work with my iphone and Apple TV

I have I-phone IOS 4.2, and the latest apple TV and apple TV software. But I can not play from my phone to the TV. I do not see airplay icons on my phone nor does my I-phone show as a connected device on the Apple TV. How do I enable it? I have a PC and a Mac on the network which both are accessible from the Apple TV. I called Apple support and was told Airplay only supports music, not pictures or video despite the Apple descriptions which indicate it supports all digital media. Is this true?

PC and MAC, Windows 7, l

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 4:34 PM

26 replies

Dec 2, 2010 10:31 PM in response to Kelvinb

Kelvinb i am getting the same issue as you are. Both my Apple Tv (2nd Gen) and iPod touch (4th Gen) are updated to the latest software, and both of these devices are on the same WiFi network. The Airplay button has never shown up on my ipod. Thought it was supposed to appear when it finds a device on the same network. This was the soul reason i purchased an Apple TV (2nd Gen) Very frustrated. I even tried re-syncing and restoring my ipod. Nothing. Hope we can get this solved.

Dec 4, 2010 5:55 AM in response to jimf2338

As the original poster, I too had issues with my iPhone 4 (4.2.1) and Apple TV 2 playing nice. The Airplay icon was visible for music, and worked perfectly. However, when watching a video, purchased through iTunes, only the "audio" option would be selectable for Airplay. After updating the Apple TV software, everything works perfectly well. When watching a video on my iPhone and selecting the Airplay icon, one of the options is to play "video" through the Apple TV, not simply audio.

It would have been nice to know that my Apple TV needed an update when I updated my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1.

Airplay does not work with my iphone and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.