Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

p6-buy.itunes.apple.com and buy.itunes.apple.com

*I recently started receiving the error "iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "<pick one from the subject line of this post>" .*

The certificate for this server was signed by an unknown certifying authority. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "<pick one from the subject line of this post>", which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

When I continue, I am able to sync my iPhone, but when I try to update apps from iTunes, iTunes stops responding, and the spinning ball runs and runs infinitely.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iTunes 10.1 (54)

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 5:06 PM

14 replies

Nov 25, 2010 11:04 PM in response to appingman

Awww! So Frustrated! Also found this thread.... about keychains ??

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=36782

regarding another error I've gotten related to this... iTunes Error (-9813)

nothing's working for me... still getting certificate errors for many websites I go to-- still iTunes errors and iTunes lockups when trying to update apps. On top of all this my Mac takes nearly 8 minutes to startup-- just putting it to sleep til this issue resolved I guess... ?? Wish someone who knew something would help us fix this 😉

Dec 2, 2010 3:55 PM in response to Joe Chiarelli

Sorry Joe you feel my title is "useless". It is directly related, or actually IS the problem I am having. It will also allow people who are having this problem to easily find it, by typing this part of the error.

There is no URL to insert there " ". It is not a particular feed. It is when I start up iTunes while it is trying to access the iTunes Store that I get the error. AND/OR when I try to update iPhone Apps from the Apps Store.

This is clearly a certificate issue on the itunes servers. So, seeing as you are not an Apple employee, I don't believe you will be able to resolve this issue. Still waiting for someone from Apple to respond to this post.

Dec 4, 2010 9:17 AM in response to Ringo De Smet

Ringo De Smet wrote:
Please Apple, fix this!

Blush

This afternoon, I got more DNS problems. My browser redirected the Twitter website to Google and other strange, but wrong DNS info. So I started digging deeper and found out that the DNS part of my router was the culprit. I have a Linksys WRT160NL and according to the following thread, there are issues with the DNS part of it:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT160N-V3-has-serioius-DNS-i ssues/td-p/280327

So what did I do: I reconfigured my client machines on the local network to not use the router as an intermediate DNS caching server, but I pointed them to the DNS servers of my ISP. After clearing the DNS cache on the client machines, everything became rock-solid again, also in iTunes. All the weird error messages of certificates, resources not being found in the iTunes Store, etc are gone...

Hope this helps other people!

Ringo

Jan 5, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Ringo De Smet

I had been having this issue and several website that would start opening during the day all of a sudden ... we were scratching our heads what as going on. This DNS thing pointed to the right cause. We cleared the 192.168.1.1 adres out of the DNS-server entry, which re-pulled the addresses via DHCP from the router and all is zooming along again. Thanks for the suggestions !

Mar 8, 2014 7:40 PM in response to appingman

Quote:

appingman

I am glad to see that some have discovered a fix by using the Keychain First Aid utility. I wasn't as fortunate. I finally realized, I had a Time Machine backup of the keychain though. I went back to the last time I remembered NOT having a problem, replaced the keychain file, and like magic, I had no more problems.

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacPro, MacBook 15, Some really old Macs, Some PC's, a SUN Sparc, and many more

This also worked for me "replaced the keychain files in the keychain folder (from a Time Machine back-up)". I've been trying to figure this out for hours! Thank-you so much! Note: This also solved all my Safari Certificate issues as well!

p6-buy.itunes.apple.com and buy.itunes.apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.