Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MKV to MP4 5.1 Solved for Apple TV

After arduous research and experimenting I've have discovered the easiest and fastest way to convert our MKV's to play on Apple TV without any hardware work arounds.

First thing's first. This is a PC fix as of the moment. The idea is simple and I know that someone will post shortly as to how to do this on a Mac. Thanks to Obsolete for the basic principles for this fix.

First read up on what he has to say here:

http://www.logichaos.com/joomla/guides/35-text-guides/104-how-to-convert-mkv-to- mp4-with-ac3-51-surround-for-the-ps3.html

Now the problem with this working with Apple TV and iTunes is the audio AC3 is not an acceptable match with the MP4 container and therefore needs to be encoded to AAC.

After you have made sure your video is all lined up the way Obsolete describes, go to the "Format" tab and set the Audio Track 1 codec to AAC. While here ensure that the "Audio/Video synchronization" box is check (just below Audio Track 2)

Next, click and go to the "Audio Track 1" tab. Referencing Obsolete again, we only want to check the "Audio Copy" box if the original audio track is AAC. Otherwise follow his instructions on 5.1 channel vs stereo.
Set bitrate to maximum 448
MPEG version to 4
Object Type to LC (Low Complexity)
Output format to ATDS

Done!!! if you had to encode the audio this takes about 4 minutes if not about 30 seconds. Throw this into iTunes and SSSTREAAMMM!!!!!!

P.S. this is my first post of my young adult life, I hope it made sense and was easy to follow.

Dr Naruto

Message was edited by: DrNaruto

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Windows 7 PC

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 1:14 AM

Why don't you keep it mac based and just use Handbrake using the presets.
21 replies

Nov 23, 2010 7:23 AM in response to Nicholas Dring

From what I have used of Handbrake, btw great program I use it for all my other encoding needs, it wants to re-encode the video which can be an hour process that isn't necessary for most of the MKV files that I have come across. Second, when I did use Handbrake to take my MKV to MP4 the 5.1 was not distributed correctly post encode (all sound was in one channel). Could just be user error, I don't claim to be perfect.

Nov 25, 2010 1:37 PM in response to DrNaruto

I'm actually looking around trying to figure this out now. Oh, and yeah, Handbrake will reencode the video which means you'll get some loss in quality. Not to mention that it will take much longer than just reencoding the audio and putting it in a mp4 container.

iSubtitle will take the video and put it in a mp4 container, and even let you add subs and get the meta info automatically, but it doesn't appear that it offers any way to reencode the audio only.

Nov 25, 2010 3:37 PM in response to Christian Arild Strømmen

i don't have any experience working with .mkv files, but 5.1 AC3 tracks are okay in .mp4 files as long as there is also a stereo AAC track in the file as well.

if you manage to transform your .mkv to an .mp4 file with an AAC track, you should be able to use subler to mux in the original AC3 track. however, it seems that sometimes it can not mux the AC3 successfully. in those cases i've just resorted to using handbrake as others here have suggested.

Feb 17, 2011 8:48 AM in response to robert pfile

If you are using the digital out on your ATV, then you don't need the stereo track.
In that case, use "Subler". Create New file. Drag the mkv into the Subler window. Import the video and sound files. Save. Done.
If you don't use digital out on the ATV, then you need the stereo track.
"MKVTools" has an option to create the mp4 and add the stereo track in one go.
All done in minutes, not the hours that Handbrake would take.

Jan 11, 2012 8:15 PM in response to DrNaruto

So how come when I follow your instructions to the letter using XMedia Recode (v3.0.6.0), when I try to encode a similar MKV (filename is Tron.Legacy.2010.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264-CHD.mkv) it says it will take over 5 hours to complete (under Windows 7 OS)? I thought this was supposed to only take a few minutes. You're supposed to +ADD JOB and then ENCODE right? I've already got it encoded perfectly to Apple TV2 using Handbrake (Under MAC OS X) and working in Full 5.1 Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIx but I was hoping to find a quicker way. I figure I must be doing something incorrectly.

Feb 1, 2012 3:12 PM in response to DrNaruto

I have used MKV Tools and now MP4 Tools by EmmGunn. I must admit I mostly stream to my PS3, and have only recently started experimenting with the aTV, but the software has presets for multiple systems. It can include the original AC3 in an m4v track while adding an AAC track. And there are other oprions. Software is free with nags, or paid without nagging and an added queue.

http://emmgunn.com/

Apr 30, 2012 5:31 PM in response to Craig Temple

Hi there,

That's the script I made to convert and watch MKV files on AppleTV.

It can be found here:

http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/watch-mkv-videos-on-appletv-without-re-encoding. 5/

It's the script I actually use myself (it's modified from one I made to get avi files to play on the AppleTV 1 (sadly, avi files don't play on the ATV 2 or 3). It's dead-simple to use, you just drag and drop your MKV and a MOV gets made automagically.

There's quite a bit of Mac and AppleTV expertise there, so feel free to join up and ask more questions.

Cheers!

May 4, 2012 6:23 AM in response to DrNaruto

If you just want to turn an MKV into an MP4 file (.m4v) on the Mac, you can use Subler: http://code.google.com/p/subler/

There is no loss of quality since it just moves the tracks from one container (MKV file) to another (MP4 file). It can do audio conversion, but the default is just making a perfect copy. It doesn't do video conversion.

BTW the AppleTV2 can play AC3 audio; it doesn't have to be AAC. I don't know about ATV1.

May 16, 2012 7:59 AM in response to DrNaruto

So my situation is a little different with file compatibility. I first Started ripping my Blu's in MKV settings by selecting the AC3 and PCM audio and English (forced subs) and takes about 15 mins !

Slap it over into handbreak and that took 2 Hours : ( but came out with a 3G file and popped it into iTunes and it played fine, however my Sony Receiver > AppleTV can't decode AAC and kept defaulting to 2channel PCM which ***! However it will decode the AC3 DD5.1 fine! So I went through the process again a 2nd time and ONLY included the AC3 track and Sony Receiver decodes the AC3fine and my AppleTV presentation and sound is awesome!! Happy camper on the ATV end !

However issue I have now is that the movie file doesnt have a AAC track it wont play in itunes?! I can see it and flip through the movie but it is like it is frozen and won't play?

So there lies the question... is this because iTunes needs that AAC included on the movie file to play in iTunes?

May 16, 2012 10:26 AM in response to jmeans

Yes, iTunes/Quicktime needs an AAC track, because it won't play AC3. So does iPad/iPhone/iPod. Your video files should always have a 2-channel AAC track.

AppleTV2 and 3 can decode AAC tracks, and will convert it to 2 channel PCM for output to your receiver/TV.

AppleTV2 and 3 can't decode AC3, but will pass it through to your receiver/TV.

(I don't know about AppleTV 1)

You should have one video track, one 2-channel AAC track, and one 5.1 surround AC3 track (AKA 6-channel AC3 track) in all the video files you make. Well, unless it only had stereo sound to begin with, then don't bother with the AC3.

You can long-press Select on the AppleTV remote to change audio tracks while a video is playing.

MKV to MP4 5.1 Solved for Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.