Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 4.2.1 auto-correction bug in gmail web interface

Seems to be a bug in 4.2.1, relating to auto-correction of spelling errors within the gmail web interface (i.e. within safari)...

Whenever I'm typing, if I make a spelling error for which auto-correction suggests an alternative, attempting to cancel the auto-correct by hitting the little X icon next to the suggested word has no effect - the suggestion stays there... the only things that can be done are to either (a) backspace and retype the word correctly, or (b) hit space and allow the erroneous correction to be made.

Auto-correct appears to work fine for other sites accessed within Safari, and also other apps... seems to just be isolated to the gmail web interface (at least as far as I'm experiencing atm)

Anyone else noticing this? Any workarounds or fixes suggested?

iPhone 4, iOS 4, iOS 4.2.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 5:29 PM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2010 10:03 AM in response to mustgroove

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on an iPad running iOS 4.2.1 (8C148)--- exactly as you described: I can't cancel individual autocorrections. This is a major problem with typing on the iPad, because it's hard to be precise with the keyboard, but technical words need to be canceled. It happens in gmail, but not some other text boxes in Safari, such as this one.

-- Jim

iOS 4.2.1 auto-correction bug in gmail web interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.