Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What settings give the BEST audio quality (original audio CD to iTunes)

Further to my last post, can ya'll PLEASE help me get the bottom of this? I have heard so many different opinions & need to resolve ASAP....

What pref' settings will give me the VERY BEST audio quality, when importing original audio CD's into iTunes 4?

File size is of no issue (I have TONS of storage). I aim to import all at the highest quality possible (files need to be "broadcast quality" - for playing through a big PA system). I have been advised to either.....

1. Import using the AAC encoder at a stereo bit rate of 320 kbps with a sample rate of 48.000 kHz.

2. Import using AIFF (lossless uncompressed).

3. Import using Apple Lossless (lossless compressed).

WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE? Bearing in mind that the files will be played LOUD through a professional PA system & I'd prefer the crowd not to notice a significant diference between iTune files & orginal audio CD's (I will be spining both, side by side).

Cheers - Sweetamix.

Ibook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Dec 11, 2005 10:51 AM

6 replies

Dec 11, 2005 11:57 AM in response to Sweetamix

Importing using AIFF or Apple Lossless will be of equal quality. AIFF (or WAV, even) has the advantage of being more compatible with all devices, but the disadvantage of resulting in huge file sizes. Apple Lossless has the advantage of lower filesizes (typically 50-65% the size of AIFF), but the disadvantage of being compatible only with iTunes/Quicktime.

AAC at 320 kbps will probably be indistinguishable from Apple Lossless and AIFF. It has the advantage of being lower in file size than Apple Lossless, but the disadvantage of being lossy, which means that there is always a chance that someone, somewhere will be able to tell that it is not CD-quality. Also, you shouldn't set the sample rate to 48.000 kHz if your source material isn't at that sample rate. Most CDs have a sample rate of 44.100 kHz. Just leave the setting on "auto" so the encoder can choose the sample rate that is appropriate for the source material.

Hope this helped. If storage is truly no concern, then I would go for AIFF/WAV or Apple Lossless.

Dec 11, 2005 12:17 PM in response to Sweetamix

You are finding out that the answer to this question tough. Everyone has their own opinion on this one.

I saved the responses to a topic I opened six months ago on this same subject. I saved them and cut and pasted them into one document. Here were the answers I received. Good luck. bob

Subject: Re: Classical Music & Bitrate
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:12 PM
To: <iPod@discussions.info.apple.com>

RE: Classical Music & Bitrate

My experience with classical music (and music in general) is that the higher the bitrate, the better the quality and richness of the music. On the other hand, there is a limit to how much distinction your ears can make, and I think that anything above 192 kbps (mp3 format) is not significantly better (and not worth the larger file size). And in terms of volume adjustment, I personally have not found any need for it.

I copied the same CD to my computer in 128, 160, 192, and 320 bitrates, and I couldn't tell a difference between any of 'em. I was listening to them with Grado SR60 headphones too.

I’m sure you will get several if not many responses. You may also find they vary with the preference of the individual. However there are some rules of thumb. Generally speaking I think you will indeed find the higher the bit rate brings you closer to the CD sound.

Certainly, 32-bit rate does not offer very good sound quality. Actually going from 32 to 320 should have been noticeably better, if not…. Then you’re in good shape. Because what you don’t know is there, can’t be missed.

Also, the bit rate is only part of the equation. What format codec <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51910> are your songs ripped to.

Consider the following - iPod: About compatible song formats
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61476>

MP3 (from 32 Kbps to 320 Kbps)
MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
AIFF
WAV
M4A AAC
Apple Lossless Encoder

It sounds to me as though your songs may be in MP3 format. As a suggestion you might try ripping your CD’s to 128 AAC format. The general consensus is that AAC is better than MP3. Give it a shot…for the heck of it, and see what you think.

Finally in the end…..it matters little what we all might think….If you think your sounds are better ripped at a MP3 320 bit rate……Great. If not…experiment, and play around till you find what sounds wonderful to you!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread: had two twelve-hour work days in a row.

I did a Get Info on a typical piece in my iTunes and got this

Kind: AAC Audio File
Bit Rate: 128kb (have some at 192 & 2 or 3 at 320)
Sample Rate: 44.100 kHz
Profile: Low Complexity
Channels: Stereo
Volume: +2.3

I was troubled that one responder couldn't tell the difference among 128, 160, 192, and 320 bitrates even using Grado SR60 headphones!

And another seems to be of a similar opinion when he says that I think that anything above 192 kbps (mp3 format) is not significantly better (and not worth the larger file size). Does this apply to AAC format, too?

However, I am going to continue to add tunes at the 320 bitrate - for a while - because I swear that I can tell a difference when I play them over my car radio via the cassette adapter.

Dec 13, 2005 4:38 PM in response to Sweetamix

AIFF is no import or conversion at all. It is simply copying the music intact from CD to hard drive. The quality of what came from your CD and the quality of what is going in your iPod are identical. A three minute song takes up 30 MB on the CD and 30 MB on the iPod.

Apple Lossless is supposed to give exactly the same audio quality as the original CD at half the space. A three minute song takes up 30MB on the CD and 15 MB on the iPod.

iTune's default for ripping is AAC at 128kbps. A three minute song takes up 30 MB on the CD and 3 MB on the iPod.

If you want somewhere between the same quality as the CD and the default iTune ripping scheme, then choose AAC at a higher bitrate than 128. Choose your own trade-off between sound quality and file size.

Use your ears as your guide.

Case closed.

What settings give the BEST audio quality (original audio CD to iTunes)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.