Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2011 9:43 PM by Patrick Foley III
Patrick Foley III Level 1 Level 1
I updated the os today on my iPad and now it displays not charging when plugged into the wall charger 10W. anyone else have this problem or have a fix for it? it is charging btw however not in any quick fashion. i plugged it in to charge at 2pm mountain time at 50% by 6pm mountain time it was at 66%.

16GB WiFi, iOS 4
Solved by kengsim on Dec 3, 2010 3:38 PM Solved
I took it back to Apple's service centre and they confirmed it was a hardware problem. I'm getting a new iPad in a week; waiting for the replacement to arrive from Singapore.
  • Slackfumasta Level 1 Level 1
    Just tried mine, and it says it's charging. Maybe try a reboot?
  • Patrick Foley III Level 1 Level 1
    i've already done that a couple of times also a couple of restores, resetting all data multiple 10W plugs and cords. made an appointment with apple store, this will be the second trip there in a week for defective hardware the first was my iPhone 4 proximity sensor...neither are a month old either. i'm thinking of eating the restocking fee and returning the iPad and getting a new one, replacing a less than a month old item with referb is not ok.
  • Alfiegerner Level 1 Level 1
    Hi there,

Just joined to say I have exactly the same issue. Upgraded to 4.2.1 and now my iPad says not charging when plugged in via the wall adapter. It does in fact charge but very slowly.

Any others with this issue? Is this a hardware fault and the upgrade to 4.2.1 is a red herring?

Cheers.
  • kengsim Level 1 Level 1
    I'm having the exact same issue. A few days after upgrading to iOS 4.2.1, I'm getting the Not Charging message and now iTunes won't see the iPad. I know some users have returned their iPads for a new unit, but problem is, it's not officially available in Malaysia yet.
  • alsemyonov Level 1 Level 1
    I have same issue. It neither charges using from 10w charger, nor even connects to iTunes on my PC. It was bought only three weeks ago and updated to iOS 4 after official release. Very sad
  • Andy bird Level 1 Level 1
    I have exactly same problem. Went and bought a new charger from apple store today to make sure and still same. That was waste of £25 !!

iPad was great before upgrade to iOS 4.2 now won't last full day and charging takes ages.....
  • kengsim Level 1 Level 1
    I took it back to Apple's service centre and they confirmed it was a hardware problem. I'm getting a new iPad in a week; waiting for the replacement to arrive from Singapore.
  • LadyBeryl Level 1 Level 1
    Now I wish I'd gotten a replacement back in April. My iPad always has said "Not Charging" when connected to my laptop. I figured it was a problem with the current from my laptop since the same cord charges fine when plugged directly into an outlet.
  • Andrea d'Apuzzo Level 1 Level 1
    Same problem - Ipad not Charging with the mains 10W charger ( or in fact charging very-very slowly!!) and not being able to sync with itunes after updating to 4.2.1 - the unit was from june 2010.
  • AkChris82 Level 1 Level 1
    *Yeah I'm having the Same Problem. I just exchanged mine, which was the Wi-Fi Version to the 3G+ One. Well When I first Attached it via USB too my Laptop it was running 3.2.2 and AFTER..the update too 4.2.1 Well it won't charge @ All.I have a i4 which is running the same iOS and it charges JUST find and I have 2.0 ports. So what Gives? I'm pretty sure it's a Software prob since my Last Ipad was able to Charge*
  • Wilsk8 Level 1 Level 1
    I am having the same problem. It shows not charging when plugged into iPad wall charger and itunes won't recognize it. I have performed a reset multiple times and tried multiple different cables for he charger.
  • tursiops33 Level 1 Level 1
    I had the same issue after updating, but I disconnected it and reconnected and it worked fine.
  • shle4est Level 1 Level 1
    My iPad just started charging extremely slow as well. I didn't think much about it until I saw this thread. I assumed either the battery was dying or the colder weather was affecting it. However, I did not update to iOS 4.2.1, because my computer died on Thanksgiving, so I'm still 3.2.2.
  • rjammali Level 1 Level 1
    I had the same issue NOT CHARGING and iTunes not seeing my iPad with the old OS 3.2 and after multi trying to restart and connect it to multi PC/MAC and chargers adapters for iPad and iPod it did work fine and I did upgraded it two time before the last upgrade to 4.2 and after that by mistake I used iPod adapter to charger my iPad - they looks the same- and after that NOT CHARGING sign all the time with all kind of adapter again and iTunes can't see the iPad and it take for ever to charge up to 60 - 70 %. still searching for a solution since we don't have apple store in KSA.
Previous 1 2 Next