Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Find My iPhone and Apple ID

I can't set this up on my iPhone using instructions here http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

Won't accept my ID and password. I don't use my email address with iTunes FWIW.

I logged into my account to confirm I had the right password and email address and I'm using the ones I've used for years, but my iPhone won't accept it for Find My Phone. Can't use my non email ID. Specifically says email address and I tried it anyway and wouldn't accept it.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

Message was edited by: MtnBiker

iPhone 4 32GB, iOS 4, iOS 4.2.1 (8C148)

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 11:39 PM

Yes I have the same issue with my Apple ID.
I dont have an email from my apple ID.

I think apple didnt do proper testing before providing this.

I hope a fix will be coming out soon.
45 replies

Nov 23, 2010 4:08 AM in response to MtnBiker

I have the same problem - will not recognize my Apple ID. I've read the directions on the web site and have tried several times - just will not take my ID. (The example on the web site has a "Yahoo" ID for some reason). Not sure how that relates to an Apple ID. Was looking forward to having this service, but it looks like it is not ready for prime time. Disappointed.......

Nov 23, 2010 6:30 AM in response to MtnBiker

I'm having the same problem. It appears a swath of iTunes users like ourselves used to be able to set up accounts using a "username" versus an email address to log in. I've tried multiple times to use mine to set up Find my iPhone on my iPhone 4, but it kicks back the password/email error. I'll chalk this one up to a lack of testing as well.

Nov 23, 2010 8:32 AM in response to MtnBiker

It lets me log in OK, but it refuses to send the Registration email to my Primary Email address, keeps sending it to "username"@me.com.

I don't use MobileMe anymore, but all the instructions say that it should send the email to whichever address you have set up as your primary at www.me.com

Spoke to Support last night, and they said they knew about this bug.
No indication of when it would be fixed though

Nov 23, 2010 12:32 PM in response to MtnBiker

After the last 30 min on chat with what must be very under trained apple tech's (I'm sure working for a vendor in a call center) I was told multiple times to make a new AppleID when in I told the person I have no other e-mail they still insisted the only way to fix it was to make a new Apple ID. I mean really? so when someone can't login because they forgot a password do you tell them to make a new e-mail account also??

Solution - goto appleid.apple.com log in and Verify your e-mail address its on the lower right side of the page. Once I did this "find my iphone" worked perfect!

Nov 23, 2010 2:45 PM in response to MtnBiker

I created my Apple ID when MobileMe was still .Mac and like most people I did not use any @domain.com. However, when trying to setup the mobileme email account on my phone, using my apple id@mac.com worked, unfortunately it sent an email verification to myAppleId@mac.com. I have no idea how to get to that mailbox. Is it even possible? Either way this is really annoying and am hoping for a quick fix soon!

Nov 23, 2010 7:06 PM in response to MtnBiker

I have upgraded iphone OS to 4.2 but I am facing issues too with my apple id...my apple id is an email address like xyz@gmail.com but while adding the mobile me account from mail,contacts,calendars its not accepting the id.. its says this id cant be used for mobile me, pls user a different id..

Is it because i have two iphones registered using the same apple id? Any pointers?

Regards

Problem with Find My iPhone and Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.