Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable Printing Options?

I have an HP 470 mobile printer with wifi and bluetooth. From what I am reading, I cannot print directly to this printer from my iPad correct? And if my printer was part of that small, exclusive list, do I need my wifi printer to be associated with a wireless network? I am a sales rep that needs to be able to print from my mobile office (my truck). I was looking forward to the new update.

Why would Apple do an OS update with an extensive feature list but offer so little in terms of support? I mean really - if you are at home and you want to print something - use your desktop!

iPad/iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 8:19 AM

104 replies

Dec 7, 2010 12:43 PM in response to HP Mac Architect

Andrew,

I would like a network printer that's portable, too. Maybe someday, HP will come up wth one, eh? I am sometimes in the field with clients and I don't want to lug my HP photosmart 210 around with me, even though it come with a tote bag. That's what cutting edge technology is about. Sometimes you need to be patient. Thanks for you efforts, though.

Jan 4, 2011 10:26 AM in response to MacminiOZ

I know that Andrew has done what he can, and it takes time to develop a new printer.

In the mean time, it should be possible to power one of the AirPrint printers from an inverter connected to a car battery. This is complicated by the fact that all but two of the available printers are multifunction. The two plain AirPrint printers are LaserJets, which may not be practical or economical to use portable.

The best current solution appears to be to use an existing portable printer and share it from a laptop computer using one of the available apps. I suppose it depends on how desperate you are!

Fred

Jan 11, 2011 2:31 AM in response to HP Mac Architect

Hi Andrew - It Fred correct? - will an AirPrint printer work "out in the field" if you can power it? I have an inverter that has enough wattage for printers as far as I can make out. I also have AirPort Express - I saw a post on the US site that said that would be necessary too. My issue is I want to print documents in the field to have them signed on the spot - unfortunately some things still need to be on paper. Printer size/weight would not be an issue as would sit in the car, but don't want to buy a printer I don't need (have 2 at home already)

Thanks - Chris

Jan 11, 2011 12:39 PM in response to ChrisBNoodle

So any of the Photosmart's, the Envy, and the OfficeJets that support AirPrint all support AdHoc wireless mode so out in the field, assuming you power the Printer, the only other thing you need is your iOS device, and then you have a mobile print solution. I realize non of the current models are designed for mobile use, but as long as you are providing the power, they will work.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Jan 25, 2011 4:15 PM in response to RMU

That is a good question, and the answer is not directly. However if you go look at my second to last post on my [FAQ thread|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2658560&start=0] you'll see that I talk about the new features in the apps from EuroSmartz namely PrintBureau and PrintCentral. In addition to supporting non-AirPrint capable printers through AirPrint with their software, they now support a Print to PDF workflow. Check out MacWorld article I linked to for more info.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Jan 26, 2011 8:31 PM in response to HP Mac Architect

I have a d110a,iPad, and iprint software. I figured out how to scan and print wirelessly through iprint and my wifi.. I only have one problem....when I scan, it scans and saves the file to documents within the iprint software. I cannot save the file on my iPad to make it possible to email it to someone which defeats e purpose of scanning if I can't do anything with it. Emailed hp and never received any response from them....any help would be appreciated..

Feb 4, 2011 9:31 AM in response to QBizzy

CROSS POSTED FROM WIFI Category-

I have an hp470 wireless blueetoh portable printer. Thru print central I can connect to it when I am on my home wifi network that has an Internet connection. I have a need to print documents when I am in my car. Short of buying a portable mobile wifi router and a Mifi adapter with a monthly fee does anyone have any other ideas how to connect the iPad directly to the printer or thru a router without an Internet connection. Very frustrated as this simple task will elevate my business immensely.

Updated- spoke to HP and they told me to setup an adhoc network on my ipad. Any idea how?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 5, 2011 8:33 PM in response to Ediddy3

Ediddy-

Adhoc needs to be setup on the HP470 WiFi, not just the iPad. Look in the printer's manual to see if it is possible. Look for it in the instructions for connecting the printer to your WiFi network.

I would expect the printer's default would be Adhoc until you change it to work with your WiFi network. If it can do Adhoc, you may be able to do it by resetting the printer to factory defaults.

Fred

Portable Printing Options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.