Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opinions?

I am currently the owner of a 2-year old 15" MBP. After having read the reviews from some online journalists, I am seriously considering "downsizing" to an Air, primarily for portability. I have been musing out loud, and thought I'd see what other folks have to say. I'm going to put a lot of info down here and it might seem overkill, but this is almost as much for my own thought process as to get feedback on the big question:

Is the Air for me?

I played around with an Air at the Apple Store, and thought it was fast, but I sometimes wonder if they are optimized in some way to permit that.

Either way, I was looking at my MBP the other day and realized:
-I have only used the CD/DVD burner maybe twice... about once a year
-I only used FireWire once... to transfer my files from my old MBP to this one
-I have never used the Audio-in port
-I rarely use ethernet

I do
-Use a big external monitor with my MBP
-Use time machine for back-up as well as plug into some other external HDDs and Printers via USB
-Use a MagicMouse and external keyboard

I am an educational administrator, so I am often running from one meeting to the next. I have been trying to use my iPad for that, and while I love my iPad it really wasn't designed to do everything I need to do on it.

I use the following programs a lot (daily):
-Pages
-Mail/iCal/Address Book
-OmniFocus
-Safari/Firefox
-iChat/Adium
-Bento
-Evernote
-iTunes (movies and music)
-VLC

I use the following occasionally: (weekly)
-iWeb
-Keynote and Numbers

I am also running the following extensions:
-Butler
-Dropbox
-MarcoPolo
-iCalViewer
-XMarks for Safari
-Flip4Mac
-Growl
-Pastebot sync
-Better Touch Tool
-Printopia
-Spanning Sync
and a few others. The point is... I have A LOT going on in the background.

If I upgrade, I will get a fully loaded Air with an external superdrive for those twice-a-year burns.

So.... Any thoughts? Will the Air meet my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: MrSteveee

MBP 2.4 Core2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 5:41 PM

3 replies

Opinions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.