Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The movie contains an invalid data reference" error in subscribed albums

I'm subscribed to a MobileMe album that contains movies (m4v). Just a few of these movies work well and some other will not play. I get the following error message: "The movie contains an invalid data reference". It seems that these movies are not downloaded since I can't find the original file in my iPhoto Library. For those movies without this problem I can find the original file in the iPhoto Library. It's needed to say that this problems shows up only in iPhoto since I can see all movies at the Gallery app in iPhone/iPod/iPad and also online. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 8:08 AM

12 replies

Nov 25, 2010 10:28 AM in response to Old Toad

First of all, thanks for your help. It's not a MMe gallery of my own. For this reason I would like to leave the option of examining the library as the last option. Another reason would be that it seems that videos work fine in any other Mac, iPod, iPad, etc. It seems the problem shows only at my MacBook Pro when trying to play the videos in iPhoto. Actually I can see the videos online in my MacBook Pro. All the gallery is setup to allow visitors to download images/videos in actual size. Again thanks and hope you can help me.

Nov 30, 2010 11:20 AM in response to maplavi

Create a new test library and try subscribing to the gallery in it.

I have several galleries that I created from a separate library designed just for creating galleries. In some of my other libraries those galleries do not fully load even when I try subscribing. Don't know why but it's probably similar to the problem you're having. Don't have an answer for that.

Message was edited by: Old Toad

Dec 1, 2010 12:26 PM in response to Old Toad

I created a new library with some videos on it. I then created a gallery with one video from the new library and subscribed to it. I was able to run the video one time in iPhoto. The next time I tried to do it I got the same error message. It seems there is sync conflict. Again, I was able to run the vide in the iPad gallery app and online. The problem is iPhoto 11. What do you think about re-installing iPhoto? Could that help? I already removed the preferences list and repaired permissions with no success. Or maybe delete the iPhoto cache? What do you think? Thanks for your continuous help!

Jan 31, 2011 7:31 AM in response to maplavi

The same thing happens to me: I subscribe to a mobileme gallery containing video shot from an iPhone (.mov). The files (18 at this point) all say pending for a long time. Then, the next morning, I see that iPhoto has crashed. This has happened twice. When I reveal one of the files in finder, it looks like the file was downloaded from mobileme (the size is right), but it has no ".mov" extension.

"The movie contains an invalid data reference" error in subscribed albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.