Skip navigation

Email folders and collapsing them

44250 Views 72 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 11:27 AM by jivemm RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Silentbob1978 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 25, 2010 2:45 AM
Hello,

I am sure this may of been posted before but I cannot find a post relating to this.

Within my email I have 100+ folders (through exhange 2003) and they are all fully expanded, is there a way to collapse them as it is a real pain scrolling through them all. Is it a feature missing from the iPhone or a problem with the version of exchange.

thanks
Unknown, Other OS, Running Vista Ultimate
  • Dr_Stein Calculating status...
    Nov 25, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to Silentbob1978)
    As of now, this still remains a shortcoming in the Mail app. There is no way to collapse folders to hide subfolders.

It has nothing to do with Exchange. I have the exact same problem and my mail is on a Linux server.
    Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Martin Plaehn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 1, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to Silentbob1978)
    As of Jan 1, 2011 I have found no way to collapse nested folders on the iPhone (any of them, including iPhone 4). I use Exchange to sync with my iPhone.

So here's what I did. Granted it's a kludge, but more effective than scrolling for ever. On my PC, I organized by email by year (ie. top-level folders for 2009, 2010, and now 2011, with nested folders below each as appropriate for those years). Then named the top-level folders, 2011, yy-2010, and zz-2009. Exchange sorts the prior years to the bottom, things sync with iPhone, and the top-level (2011) is now at the top with it's expanded sub-folders. Sure all the folder are expanded, but 2010 and 2009 are so far down there, you'll never see them, unless you have to.

I hope this little kludge doesn't cause Apple not to ever fix this obvious 'productivity' and 'completeness' concern.

Cheers, Happy New Year!
    iPhone 4, iOS 4
  • melrosemark Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Mar 18, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to Martin Plaehn)
    Does anyone else have a better solution to use Exchange? I have hundreds of subfolders built up over the years and this is a big problem having just switched from the Droid where I could use an app called Touchdown by Nitrodesk that fixed this problem.....Any help is appreciated.
    iphone 4, iOS 4
  • Mindleftnumb Calculating status...
    Mar 30, 2011 5:16 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)
    Wow. No ability to work offline with your exchange account and now this nonsense? CANT COLLAPSE A FREAKING FOLDER?! unbelievable.
    Windows XP Pro
  • timfrombalto Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 14, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to Silentbob1978)

what?  i guess i'm the dummy who didn't look into this but i'm really disappointed!  can't collapse folders?  that seems like it'd be a 1.0 feature wouldn't it?  there's not enough people out there who use their iPhone to manage email on the go to create a bigger stink?  c'mon apple!! please fix this asap.  it has to be super easy to fix.

• south74 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 26, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this - it's a real pain... iOS5?

Thanks in advance

• Sascha from Verdugo Woodlands Calculating status...
    Nov 18, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to Silentbob1978)

We are at iOS 5 now and I'm still waiting for this feature since iOS 1 on the very first iPhone.

I have 500+ Folders and subfolders in 5-6 levels.

It is a real pain to scroll 500 folders down to just check the 'sent' folder. What is even worse is to find a specific folder somewhere in the middle of the pile.

I have barely any skin on my indexfinger left!

Is anybody @ Apple using an iPhone or an iPad? How is this even possible that this is still not fixed after 5 years?

Isn't collapsing folders a standard feature in the OS which should require only 2 hours of coding to get it into the mail app?

Look, I really love the Apple stuff, I changed my whole department to Apple products and my home looks like an Apple store. I even crazy enough to have the Apple sticker on my car.

But the absence of this little standard feature is a real pain!

Kind Regards,

Sascha

• pvonk Level 6 Level 6 (13,670 points)
    Nov 18, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)

It's not just an exchange server, all my IMAP accounts work the same way.

• Chap Sheffield Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Sascha

Like you my home and office resemble an Apple store and I have all my staff on Apple products but sometimes Apple are infuriating. How can ANYONE at Apple be using their devices for any type of business application and not have encountered this ??? they must have and then to ignore it smacks of complacency something I feel has been creeping into Apple for a while .... I said in another post I have started looking at other solutions now especially for mobile. I pay fortunes for Apple products and they should deliver what my business needs, these are basic functions and as another poster states they have been waiting for this from IOS1 we are on 5 now !!!

Android is catching up .......

• jasondainter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 9, 2011 3:54 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)

I cannot believe Apple arent taking this feature seriously. Comon guys... just make these folders collapse. Any professional is going to carry a couple of emails around with them (i personally have about 5-6!) and literally thousands of sub folders.

The default view is expanded all folders. At least on the ipad2 you can navigate to individual accounts, on the iphone it seems you cant even do this!

What a joke!

Apple - please fix this or at least provide some feedback as to what you plan to do around this.

If any app developers can make a work around in the mean time they'd make a small fortune I'm sure.

Love my ipad, love my iphone, hate this massive shortcoming.

• GL1911 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 20, 2011 3:02 PM (in response to jasondainter)

Yes, please update this & add the feature so that we do not have to scroll through all of our folders.

• kas90025 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 22, 2012 7:19 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of others asking for a collapseable folders feature.  I just started on the iPhone (was a Blackberry user for years), and having to scroll through the dozens of folders in my hierarchy just to reach "Sent Items" is a major pain.  This seems like it should be a pretty easy fix...  Please, Apple!

• Graham_ABZ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 25, 2012 4:01 PM (in response to Silentbob1978)

Agree - can't believe it's not been addressed, the Mail app seems very weak (no RTF?) - I didn't really mind for home use, but now we're moving to IPhones (from Blackberry) at work this is a real pain.... our IT guys didn't  seem to pick it up as an issue (must have wanted new toys more than efficient Users)

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.