6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2010 7:33 AM by thomas_r.
SamEgypt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
My MacBook Pro 13" (Mac OS X 10.6.5) is performing well. However, I sometimes get the feeling that it's performance speed is not what I would expect from a laptop with such specifications (Processor 2.66 GHz, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3). Is there a way to test if my computer is performing at its best?
Thanks,
Sam

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.6 G
  • sig Level 8 Level 8 (35,780 points)
    "...I sometimes get the feeling that it's performance speed is not what I would expect from a laptop with such specifications..."

What evidence leads you to these feelings?
  • SamEgypt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    When I start up my computer it takes sometime for the wall paper to appear, and then the icons on the desktop start to appear one by one. When I open the dash board the widgets appear incomplete, and it takes a couple of seconds for them to appear normal. When I click on a file that requires a certain application to launch (e.g. word or excel file) I feel that it takes more than my old Toshiba to achieve that. That's why I wanted to be objective and ask if there was a way (e.g. an application or a test) to check if my computer was running properly.
    How much free space is on your hard drive? How many icons and files are on your desktop? (Not icons in the dock).
  • SamEgypt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    126 GB, and 29 respectively.
    Your desk top should be neater. Try filing away those icons into folders and then into your home folder. That should help the booting process a bit. Then try booting into Safe mode. Hold down the shift key when booting up and release it when you see the spinning cog. It takes a while for the Mac to boot up so be very patient. When it does run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility. Then empty the trash if full and then reboot.
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,460 points)
    As sig notes, 29 items on your desktop is excessive. The desktop is always present, even when the Finder is hidden, and each desktop icon is managed internally as a separate window, each of which requires some processor time to keep drawn. Clean that up a bit.

Also, for more speed improvement tips, see the [Mac OS X speed FAQ|http://www.index-site.com/Macosxspeed.html].