Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight problems in Facebook, LDSPlanet, and Stickam

When I try to record a video directly from iSight onto Facebook the camera won't turn on. As well as when I am on social sites like Stickam and LDSPlant it won't let me webcam chat there when the previous week it did. I wonder if I changed something without knowing I did.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 7:19 AM

12 replies

Nov 25, 2010 7:48 AM in response to FBHelp

FBHelp wrote:
When I try to record a video directly from iSight onto Facebook the camera won't turn on. As well as when I am on social sites like Stickam and LDSPlant it won't let me webcam chat there when the previous week it did. I wonder if I changed something without knowing I did.

Probably not.

Welcome to Discussions, FBHelp

Several 10.6.5 users are currently finding problems with Flash based video web sites, perhaps due to timing differences in the various update cycles of the developers.

Therefore, check all third-party items like Flip4Mac, Safari "Extensions", web-based chat items, social web site "toolbars", etc., to be sure you are using the latest versions compatible with your system. Uninstall any with known issues pending their next update.

If you are still having iSight problems but ONLY on Flash-based web sites, here are some things you can try. Depending on system configuration and installed third-party items, various users have reported different methods of restoring Flash video website functionality. Which might work for you seems to be a matter of what you have added to your system, so keep trying any relevant to your system until you find the one that might work for you.

(1) For those who have installed Google plugins, user OysterOyster reports that uninstalling them restores proper iSight function with Flash and Mac OS X 10.6.5.

If Google is your problem, the GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller.app should be in your hard drive's Library/Application Support/Google/ folder. ( not your *Home > Library* folder)

Several users confirm that using the Google uninstaller works to restore Flash video functions.

Some other users, including those who do not use the Google plugins, have found other remedies.

(2) User joew13 reports that installing the 64-bit Flash plug-in beta for Mac OS X (DMG, 8.7 MB) fixed Flash sites for him.

This link allows download of the 64-bit plugin beta from an official Adobe page:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

or, to download the beta directly, click this link--> http://tinyurl.com/2frejs4

Several other users have confirmed success after the beta update.

(3) User imagerle downgraded Flash to version 10,0,45,2 to restore Flash video.

If this older version is not available on a backup or an old install disk, it can be downloaded from Adobe's Archived Flash Players page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

(4) User sirjoe82 and others have reported that uninstalling Flip4Mac restored their Flash video website functions.

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1

Nov 26, 2010 10:39 AM in response to EZ Jim

If Google is your problem, the GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller.app should be in your hard drive's Library/Application Support/Google/ folder. ( not your *Home > Library* folder)

Several users confirm that using the Google uninstaller works to restore Flash video functions.

EZ JIM, this worked perfectly...I searched the HD and got found the uninstaller in my library and it ran, and started firefox back up and the video function worked perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help!

MacBook Pro 13.3, 2.4 Core Duo, 10.6.5!

Dec 2, 2010 10:13 AM in response to FBHelp

FBHelp wrote:
Uninstalling Google plugins helped.

Thanks for letting us know your topic is answered.

It is always nice to know what works for the OP!

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1

Dec 18, 2010 10:45 AM in response to worton2591

worton2591 wrote:
... My iSight now works on flash websites including facebook, downloading the new flash player beta 10.2 helped. Thanks!

You're most welcome.

Dec 27, 2010 10:57 AM in response to FBHelp

I'm still running through the solutions presented but not getting any results. I'm using Google Chrome and a camera video controller called CamTwist for my camera effects. All but Chrome and particularly stickam.com isnt communicating to my camera. In the advanced flash settings, the port is detecting the CamTwist program virtualizing my camera, but uninstalling Chrome, then Camtwist, reinstalling in that order, hasn't solved the problem. Afterwards, removing the plugins had to be manually (the uninstaller wasn't in the library/application support/Google root) by AppCleaner.

I've since upgraded my flash version to the beta and no change.

iSight problems in Facebook, LDSPlanet, and Stickam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.