Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro RAID block size recommendations for working with audio in Logic Pro

I have recently ordered a Mac Pro and plan to do a RAID configuration across 3 HDD's

The RAID type i am going to do is a RAID 0 striped.

The computer is going to be used primarily for audio post production and working with 20+ 24-Bit audio files at any one time within a Logic project.

I want to know what is the best block size i should use when configuring the RAID.

I understand that using a higher block size is best for working with large files but do i need to do this in my case or will the default 32k block size be enough?

Thanks in advance

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 12:17 PM

Use 64k. Things like databases like having 32k blocks because of all the small files. Audio files are pretty small even at 24-bit 192KHz. Go to 128k if all you are doing is streaming and no samples. But 20+ 24-bit is really not too large anyway considering most modern HDD's can stream 100MB/s off one spindle. You'll probably be fine regardless of the block size you choose. But most audio pro's choose 64k.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2010 12:17 PM in response to jayfoxuk

Use 64k. Things like databases like having 32k blocks because of all the small files. Audio files are pretty small even at 24-bit 192KHz. Go to 128k if all you are doing is streaming and no samples. But 20+ 24-bit is really not too large anyway considering most modern HDD's can stream 100MB/s off one spindle. You'll probably be fine regardless of the block size you choose. But most audio pro's choose 64k.

Mac Pro RAID block size recommendations for working with audio in Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.