Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MB core 2 duo 2.4ghz - Bluetooth: Not Available

I have a MB Pro 17 inch core 2 duo 2.4 Ghz. Bluetooth used to work but stopped sometime after installing snow leopard (after 1 of the updates). The icon is in the menu but when you click on it, it says "Bluetooth: Not Available". I have run Hardware Test and it did not have any errors.

I copied the harddrive to an external drive, took the opportunity to install a new larger HD. Then I installed snow leopard from the DVD (original version when it first shipped), migrated my apps and files back and then ran Software Update. It is now at version 10.6.5.

System Profiler for Bluetooth says No Information Found. Bluetooth does not show up in System Preferences either.

If I go to Help and type in Bluetooth and then choose "setting up bluetooth connections" I get a choice to click on "Open Bluetooth Preferences". When I click it I get an Error that says "The item can not be opened. It may be disabled or not installed. 2 param error"

How do I get Bluetooth back?

G5 and MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 11:15 PM

10 replies

Nov 26, 2010 10:09 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Barry Hemphill wrote:
Hello Rick:

Be sure Bluetooth is turned on (system preferences>bluetooth.

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM (instructions for both in knowledge base articles).

Barry

There isn't an icon in the System Preferences for bluetooth.

Tried resetting the SMC - no change after reboot. Then tried resetting the PRAM - no change after reboot.
Deleted the bluetooth file in Library/Preferences - still no change after reboot.

I really need to get this working. Any other suggestions?

Nov 27, 2010 2:26 AM in response to Rick Wilson

Hello again:

The things that I suggested (that you tried) usually address the missing BT (no help to you).

It is possible that the Bluetooth hardware has failed. If you are near an Apple store, you might take the computer to a "genius" for diagnosis.

Barry

P.S. When you get a chance, please update your profile (you indicated you are running OS X 10.6)

Nov 27, 2010 9:49 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

I didn't mention that the USB port on the right side of the Mac doesn't work either. The mac doesn't recognize it and it doesn't even pass power (for charging). Could that be related?

Are they possibly connect close together inside the computer? The computer was worked on by Apple awhile back (don't remember if it was before or after losing bluetooth and the USB port). Could they possibly have not plugged something back in? Or not well and it worked lose? I don't even know if I lost bluetooth and the USB port at the same time.

MB core 2 duo 2.4ghz - Bluetooth: Not Available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.