Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop the AppleTV from sharing directories

How can I set the AppleTV (or my Mac its streaming from) to stop sharing certain directories. For example, I'd like it to share the movies I've bought off iTunes, but not the music. How do I exclude directories? Thanks

Mac Pro 8-Core; 16GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 5:27 AM

2 replies

Jul 26, 2013 12:43 PM in response to R. Yannetta

As far as I can determine, AppleTV (3G running iOS6) cannot be set to abide by any list-trimming controls when accessing iTunes libraries. The very best you can do is turn on the parental controls on the AppleTV, and set the appropriate age-restrictions. You cannot have AppleTV ignore certain playlists, for instance.

Now, if Apple were smart, they would make AppleTV's home sharing work just like iTunes does:

On the master library machine, I set playlists for both music and movies that are age-appropriate. I only activate those playlists on the master machine's Sharing settings.

My kids can then use their Macs via iTunes to listen to or watch only that media. Works very well for all involved, and far more flexible than just the simplistic G/PG/R or explicit ratings. It utterly fails with any iOS device (iPhone or AppleTV). I'm dumbfounded why Apple would not have had two seemingly similar features (in OSX and iOS) work so very differently. Seems more granular control would be favorable than how clunky it is now.

How to stop the AppleTV from sharing directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.