Skip navigation

4.2.1 killed the Keyboard Clicks on my iPad

4087 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 11:44 AM by crigo22 RSS
araym Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 26, 2010 1:44 PM
Keyboard Clicks worked right up to the point that I installed 4.2.1. Now they don't work at all. Or almost at all. They will work on the initial password screen. They also work on the Settings->General->Sounds page. But no where else.

I've turned all of the sounds (including Keyboard Clicks) off and on again several times. I've cranked the volume up all the way. I've also played with the new Mute switch just in case that was giving me the problems. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
13" 2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPod touch 2G 16GB, iPad 3G 16GB
  • Barbara Brundage Level 7 Level 7 (22,075 points)
    Nov 26, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to araym)
    Have you tried power cycling, the ipad, turning it completely off and then on again? And have you checked that the mute button isn't on? That's the button that used to be the rotation lock switch, but is now used to mute system sounds, like mail notifications and (possibly) key clicks.

EDIT Oops, I see you did try the mute switch. Sorry, missed that before.
    iMac C2D 2.16, iMac G5 2.1, flat panel imac 700, ibook G4 1G, Performa 6116CD, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • oldspook619 Calculating status...
    Nov 26, 2010 2:09 PM (in response to araym)
    My key-clicks seem to be a lot lower that before. With the volume all the way up I can barely hear them.
    Asus PC, Windows 7
  • Niche Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 27, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to araym)
    Just a thought- have you got the new Airplay feature turned on in iTunes or the video app? - I think that kills the keyboard tap sound - in fact I know it does because I'm typing this right now whilst listening to tune via airplay - and the keyboard is silent...
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Tyrellcorp76 Calculating status...
    May 15, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to Barbara Brundage)

Just read your point about keyboard clicks and my problem is now sorted.

Cheers.

• ClarkPad Calculating status...
    Oct 17, 2011 4:46 PM (in response to araym)

I tried all the same suspects. Just loaded ios 5. The trick for my same problem was simply to change the setting for the "use side switch to:".   -  from "lock rotation" to " "mute". And back. I also tried the proverbial putting a headset phone jack in and out several times as previous posts have suggested. Not sure which action got my keyboard clicks back, but they are indeed ok now.

Just wanted to post this if it happened to some else after plating to its 5.

Clark

• arnieg Calculating status...
    Oct 20, 2011 8:05 AM (in response to ClarkPad)

Just tried all af the above on my IPad 2 and the keyboard is still silent. HELP!!

• crigo22 Calculating status...
    Mar 18, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to arnieg)

Had same issue that came suddenly on version 4.3.x

To solve it, Go to Settings > General > Reset > then tap "Reset all Settings"

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, aren’t deleted.

Voilà

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.