Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat video chat not working

I am using iChat v 4.0.9 . I am using OS X 10.5.8

I have used video chat with no problems until today. I can only audio chat. I get a message saying "this Computer does not support video conferencing." I can use my iSight find in photo booth. I do not have internet sharing enabled. The bandwidth limit is greyed out under my iChat preferences along with Automatically open iChat when external camera is turned on. I saw on one forum to delete an ichat file in the USB folder (?) -- I am at a loss. Any assistance would be appreciated. ~ K

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 9:19 AM

sleepholow wrote:

I have used video chat with no problems until today. I can only audio chat. I get a message saying "this Computer does not support video conferencing." I can use my iSight find in photo booth. I do not have internet sharing enabled. The bandwidth limit is greyed out under my iChat preferences along with Automatically open iChat when external camera is turned on. I saw on one forum to delete an ichat file in the USB folder (?) -- I am at a loss. Any assistance would be appreciated. ~ K

Welcome to Discussions, sleepholow

Have you tried shutting everything down and restarting your modem, router (if you use one), and Mac in that order? Let each self-test complete before restarting the next device. A modem/router restart usually restores iChat video for me without need for other action.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2010 9:19 AM in response to sleepholow

sleepholow wrote:

Welcome to Discussions, sleepholow

Have you tried shutting everything down and restarting your modem, router (if you use one), and Mac in that order? Let each self-test complete before restarting the next device. A modem/router restart usually restores iChat video for me without need for other action.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1

Nov 27, 2010 7:23 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have tried resetting the SMC/PMU with no luck. I also tried using the "guest" account to see if it was something on my user ID and it does not work on the guest ID either. I have not tried resetting the router/modem and will try that and see if I have any luck. I will let you know if this solved the problem.

Thanks to you both for responding. I appreciate your help.

~ K

iChat video chat not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.