Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue Tooth GPS - Compatible

Hi all,

I am after an Apple approved/compatible BT GPS. If an Apple rep could please advise.

Cheers......Shaun

iPad Wifi 16G, iOS 4

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 9:07 PM

20 replies

Nov 27, 2010 12:40 AM in response to deggie

I have a Wifi only iPad and wish to use the iPad only as a in vehicle GPS. The only way I see to do that is via an external GPS as the Wifi model does not have an AGPS and even if it did I would prefer more accuracy.

So my question is, would any Blue Tooth compatible GPS work with iPad and any associated GPS programs or do I have a fancy looking brick.

Cheers.........Shaun

Nov 27, 2010 1:21 AM in response to deggie

Thanks for the tips. But not the advise I am looking for. I am sure there are some GPS tech heads out there that can answer this.

I know the 3g model iPad could do it, but no where near as good as an external GPS.

So please, if someone could please advise if they know a compatible blue tooth GPS.

Cheers........Shaun

Nov 27, 2010 7:43 AM in response to ShaunH32

Sorry that you don't like the information I gave you but there is no way to do what you want and I don't believe you could do it even if you jailbreak your iPad. If I am understanding you correctly you want to connect a GPS through BT and have the map, directions, etc. displayed through the iPad so you can then use the iPad as the GPS? I guess for the larger screen?

The problem is BT would be far to slow to transfer all of the video information that you want, especially in real time, and I don't know of any GPS that can do this. The screen resolution would also be a mismatch and there would be no interface for controlling the GPS.

Again, if what you are wanting is a large screen GPS just buy the largest GPS available and use it and skip the middle device. I use the TomTom app with my iPad and it does what you want, albeit at iPhone resolution.

Nov 27, 2010 6:39 PM in response to deggie

Thanks again Deggie but still not the answer.

The content eg maps etc are already included on the iPad application or downloaded to it via the app providers website and stored on the iPad.

The only content the BlueTooth GPS is to provide is your location and the iPad must have the ability to interface this location via Bluetooth to the app that translated the data provided.

The software and content for making this work is already provided and can be placed on your ipad.

All I need is someone in the know to advise which Blue Tooth devices are compatible with iPad.

Cheers......Shaun

Nov 27, 2010 10:20 PM in response to ShaunH32

Who is the app provider that is downloading the maps that you are going to use?

It doesn't matter which GPS you buy, the iPad does not include any BT profile that would read the location information from the GPS device and transmit it via BT to the iPad. Plus I still don't see the point, just use the GPS you buy.

It is possible you could do what you want by jailbreaking your iPad (voiding the warrant) if you are able to add BT profiles. I'm not aware of this being possible and we can't discuss it here but a quick Google search should land you a web site to cover this. Then you will need to decide which GPS you want to use and find a site to hack the GPS as none of the major ones I know of include any sort of BT profile to transfer location information to another device and then be used on another map. I did do a cursory search but found no information on doing this, i.e. modifying the GPS.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through.

Message was edited by: deggie

Nov 29, 2010 10:09 AM in response to ShaunH32

LOL, since I'm not telling you what you want to hear you think I don't have a working knowledge?

You could contact Magellan, or Garmin, or TomTom and see if they have any plans for a cradle to work with your iPad to provide GPS, in the same manner the iPhone/iPod Touch ones do (and they do it very well).

The problem with the serial emulation profile the person spoke of at the start of the YouTube link is Apple will not use that profile since it would also open a back door to file transfer (and FTP is not provided on iDevices) and the other problems I spoke of.

But keep trying, and if there is enough demand for such a thing the GPS companies will fill the need.

Blue Tooth GPS - Compatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.