Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Birthday and Anniversary are one day of in hotmail after syncing

I know that there are plenty of posts out there with the same or a similar problem. Here, I try to describe the problem in a way, where everyone could reproduce it.

First, I will describe my current setup on my iPhone and then my problem:

My Calendar, Contacts, eMail are all synced with my Windows Live Account through an Exchange Account.

Exchange Account Setup:
- Server: m.hotmail.com
- Domain: <leave it empty>
- Username: <your Windows Live ID>
- Password: <your Password>

iPhone Timezone: Zurich, Switzerland (GMT +1)

Problem:
After editing one of my contacts (new or existing one) and sync it back to my Windows Live Account, the birthday and anniversary are one day off in all other Applications (on hotmails web page, Windows Live Mail, ...).

To reproduce this Problem, you have to set the iPhone timezone (Settings->General->Date & Time) manually to a timezone with a positive shift against GMT Time (Zurich with GMT +1 will do the trick). All other timezones (Lodon GMT +0, Cupertino GMT -8) are working as expected.

*My conclusion:*
There seems to be a Bug in the Exchange protocol with respect to the birthday and anniversary fields and the used timezone information.

@Apple: Please fix this Bug.

Everyone with the same problem (as well those with another Exchange Server), please post a replay.

Best
Michael

Corrected some typos

iPhone, iOS 4, iOS 4.2.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 4:29 AM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2012 7:07 PM in response to sadslash

The bug is still present in iOS5.0.1.

It is a sync problem but also an iOS internal problem since all Address Book other than the Apple Address Book ahow any birthday offset by a day too.

1) I use CalDAV to sync with my eGroupware groupware server.

Sent by eGroupware to iPhone:

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:3.0

PRODID:-//EGroupware//NONSGML EGroupware Addressbook 1.8//EN

{..}

BDAY:2001-09-02

END:VCARD

changed some NOTES text and iPhone sends it again to eGroupware:

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:3.0

PRODID:-//EGroupware//NONSGML EGroupware Addressbook 1.8//EN

{..}

BDAY;value=date:2001-09-03

END:VCARD

When the card was submitted, the iPhone still showed 200-09-02 for birthday and once it saved it and synced it back, guess what:

Birthday was on 2001-09-03! (Of course, because that's what it sent)

But why does the iPhone sends the birthday as 2001-09-03???????

And this is repetitive. So EVERY TIME i edit an address on the iPhone, the birthday shifts another day. Drives me crazy!

2) Use any other Address Book like RContacts, RContact lite, ContactXL, etc, and THEY _ALL_ show the birthadys of any contact a day later.

I conclude from the above that the contact birthadys are stored internally with some sort of offset or information (TIMEZONE???) that is not apparent to other contact clients and is not applied when syncing contacts back via DAV.

When I use microsoft exchnage sync (activeSync), then the birthdays sinc fine.

Please get it fixed. It is 100% apple bug.

Feb 10, 2012 9:59 AM in response to kayp

kayp wrote:

I'm having this exact same issue BUT I'm thinking that it is die to leap year! Am I crazy? My January and February dates are fine. 2/29/12 comes and BAM everything gets skewed.

Hello apple! Listening?

Maybe it's like the millenium bug in 2000. Remember that? Now with a Leap Year twist! 😝

Birthday and Anniversary are one day of in hotmail after syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.