Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS/email vibrate in ear while on call after 4.2.1

This is getting pretty annoying.

Ever since updating to 4.2.1, when I am on a call and have the phone held up to my ear...the phone vibrates for SMS notifications and such.

This occurs if the phone is on the silent setting and when the phone is set to ring and vibrate.

This is happening on my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4. For the time being, I shut off the vibrate with ring setting.

I restored and tested it before restoring from backup. It still happened with a clean OS install. I then downloaded a new copy of 4.2.1 and it is still doing it.

Anybody else notice this wonderful buzzing in your ear?

iPhone 4, iOS 4, 4.2.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 11:20 AM

15 replies

Mar 10, 2011 12:20 AM in response to crossmr2

I've had this problem before and after 4.3 upgrade. This is very very annoying and its driving me mad - my old Nokia didn't have this problem. The smartphone isn't that smart if it doesn't know its on a call.

I have seen post going back a bit from people with the same problem. Does anyone know if Apple have any intention of fixing this (it seems that it missed its chance with this OS upgrade). Grrrrrrr

Mar 10, 2011 3:15 PM in response to Eric Shawn2

Unfortunately for me this was my first iphone (its a 4) and I didn't know about this problem at the time. I only got it because I was happy with macbook after I got it.

From reading other forums and posts going back into 2010, I would of assume that Apple are aware of the problem and I also assumed that this would have been one of the things on the list to fix with OS4.3. I was wrong...

Grrrr

Apr 3, 2011 12:34 PM in response to Brucey99

^^ I'm with ya buddy. I've used an iPhone since they first came out - bought the new ones everytime they released one...but this update with the forced vibrations and the OVERZEALOUS text message notifications (that freaking pop up and interrupt everything you're doing)...I'm handling this phone over to the "dumpster" come June when I'm eligible for an upgrade- My brother switched to HTC's Inspire, and I think I will do the same....Apple is becoming "facebook"....give the people what they want NOT what YOU think they want/need......<< Successful Business 101

//Chris

Apr 3, 2011 3:19 PM in response to chrischil

I kinda like the HTC phones been looking at the HD7. Apple can stick their iPhone on my next upgrade, they call it a smartphone no custom sms tones, no sending anything by bluetooth, no option to set anything the way YOU want it.

Apple constantly try to stop Jailbreaking, and the day the do they will see what their paranoid grip of the phone really does because id bet that more than half of iphone owners only chose the iPhone because they knew they could jailbreak it.

Apr 3, 2011 3:23 PM in response to DavidK2010

@ David, You're right! My cousin has been an avid iPhone + Apple user for longer than I have, and even HIS iPhone 3GS is jailbroken....I actually might do it to my phone by the end of this month, simply because i KNOW i'm going to get rid of this crap when June rolls around and my upgrade surfaces! So bye-bye to the worlds "most innovative phone"

Apr 3, 2011 3:34 PM in response to chrischil

Lol @chris.. Im actually thinking about it too, my friends iPhone 4 has been done, and its like a different phone, when i compare my basic iPhone 4 and I mean BASIC (as Apple intended) its embarrasing. you can see just how restricted Apple have made the phone, he has real multitasking, custom tones, themes, all menu animations are different far superior, and loads of daft little things that make the phone much better, like pull down to update your email!!

Most embarrasing thing with the iphone... The Tri-tone IMO is the best sms tone of the 6, and most people would use that.. when you are out and you get an sms and about 5 people look at their phones!

SMS/email vibrate in ear while on call after 4.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.