Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Configuring Recent Items

2863 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 1:09 PM by Peter WP RSS
Peter WP Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 27, 2010 4:59 PM
I'm using v6.2.9.

I wanted to change the number of Recent Items visible when you click on Open Recent from the File Menu.

The list runs oldest at the top, newest at the bottom.

When I change the number I'd like to see by using Appleworks>Preferences>General>Files from say 100 to 50, the Open Recent menu displays not the 50 most recent Recent Items, but the 50 oldest ones.

Any suggestions how I can correct this?
iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Nov 27, 2010 6:48 PM (in response to Peter WP)
    All you can change is the number of items displayed, you have no control over the arrangement of them. The "Recent Items bug" has been around since AppleWorks 6 was released in March, 2000. Take a look at these user tips by Dale Gillard

AppleWorks slow? Spinning ball appears?

Recent items not visible/updated

24" 2.4GHz iMac; 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; G5 2.3G Hz; 3GS iPhone; 3G iPad;, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2GB iPod nano, 30GB 5G iPod, 17" G5 iMac, G4/700 iMac, PB 1400, Apple IIgs
  • Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (64,020 points)
    Nov 28, 2010 1:44 AM (in response to Peggy)
    You could use the following AppleScript to remove every item after the first 50 in the 'Recent Items' folder:

tell application "Finder"
    set n to the number of items in folder "Recent Items" of folder "Starting Points" of folder "AppleWorks User Data" of folder "Documents" of folder "USERNAME" of folder "Users" of startup disk
    try
    select items (n-50) thru (1) of folder "Recent Items" of folder "Starting Points" of folder "AppleWorks User Data" of folder "Documents" of folder "USERNAME" of folder "Users" of startup disk
    end try
    move selection to the trash
    end tell

(the 'try' is to prevent error messages if there happen to be less than 50 items)

Obviously amend USERNAME to suit. Save as an application, place it somewhere convenient and add it to System Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Login Items to have it run on every login. (Test it first!)
    24 inch iMac (10.6.4), 13 inch Macbook Pro (10.6.4), 20 inch G4 iMac (10.4.11), Asus 'eee' (Linux), G3 Beige desktop Mac (8.6)
  • Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (64,020 points)
    Nov 28, 2010 4:35 AM (in response to Peter WP)
    Heirarchical menus always list the contents of a folder in alphabetical order and this can't be changed. Only folders can be set to name, date, etc.
    24 inch iMac (10.6.4), 13 inch Macbook Pro (10.6.4), 20 inch G4 iMac (10.4.11), Asus 'eee' (Linux), G3 Beige desktop Mac (8.6)
  • Michael Morgan1 Level 7 Level 7 (23,825 points)
    Nov 28, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to Peter WP)
    There's actually another simple fix or workaround that I've been using for a long time: Put the Recent Items folder in the Dock and set the Finder prefs for that folder to display however you like. In my case it's list view sorted on date, as I'm usually only interested in looking for relatively recent work.

Keep in mind that this solves only the display side of the problem; you still have to do things to prevent too many files from building up in there.
    iMac G5 17" iSight 32GB 3G iPad Shuffles (1G/2G) Nano 5G, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.