Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie 11 use the GPU to accelerate encoding videos?

I noticed on imovie ’09, my GPU isn’t used at all to import or encode videos...
Does imovie 11 use the GPU to help out at all?

MacBook Pro, C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 10:26 PM

13 replies

Nov 28, 2010 8:44 AM in response to Daniel Slagle

I used atmonitor. The GPU utilization doesn’t even break 5%. The GPU works harder to actually play the video than to import or encode them >.<
It seems like iDVD does put it to SOME use... ie when I’m encoding the actual video (and not the menus) the GPU is usually at 15-20% utilization.

And just so there’s no confusion, I’m currently using iMovie ’09 and not iMovie ’11. I was just asking if ’11 uses the GPU or not so I know if it’d be worth the upgrade 🙂

If iMovie 11 doesn’t use the GPUS, I guess I’ll Have to download a trial of adobe. Does it allow you to encode videos to a standard NTSC DVD disc? Makes it easier for grandparents on other side of country to watch home videos... 🙂

Here’s the monitor I used:
<a class="jive-link-external-small" href="http://">http://www.atpurpose.com/atMonitor/

Message was edited by: Jackjohnson64

Nov 30, 2010 11:03 AM in response to Daniel Slagle

Some software use the computer’s GPU (addition to or in place of the CPU) in order to complete its given task in a shorter period of time. Photoshop is an example of one of these applications; it uses the GPU instead of the CPU to complete its tasks faster. 3DS Max is another example. It uses all available cores to render faster.

Now you might be thinking those all have to do with graphics... Well... Doesn’t imovie have to do with graphics, too? I mean utilizing the GPU to encode video is a good idea IMO. Even if you don’t associate iMovie with graphics, and somehow think it’s impossible for it to ever take advantage of a GPU, what about the other software that’s completely unrelated to graphics and video encoding? The legality or intentions of the software is questionable... (ie wireless network auditing) But regardless, it still takes advantage of the GPU to accelerate its tasks to incredible speeds. If stuff like that can do it, why can’t a program designed for processing video do it?

Anyway, I won’t be able to tell you if adobe makes NTSC discs or not. I already have toast 10 which I just discovered it burns NTSC DVD discs and even Blu Ray video discs without returning a demuxing error every other video. And to think it was only useful for burning data discs. 🙂 It doesn’t use the GPU either, but it seems to encode DVD video considerably faster than iDVD.

Dec 1, 2010 9:16 AM in response to große geld

While it's true that some software does use the computer's GPU in addition to the CPU to complete some tasks faster, those tasks are very specific. In Photoshop for instances, certain filters do take advantage of additional CPU cores as well as the GPU. But the GPU application is very limited because unlike a CPU which is designed for general computing, the GPU is for intense specific mathematical calculations. You need to model the task to benefit from the GPU since most GPUs from Nvidia have more than 2 cores running at high speeds which is great for transcoding, but nothing else.
On my Quad Core PC, Nero Premium HD takes full advantage of all my CPU cores as well as my GPU cores (Nvidia) for editing and final transcoding to any media format with the balance of speed and good video quality. And it's fast! For all burning and final encoding purposes, I use the PC since it reads movie footage rendered from iMovie 11 no problem. If I want to do a quick render preview of my movies with iMovie 11 before final burning, I would export to Quicktime using the Elgato Turbo H.264 option, which is an external GPU USB stick, which is the fastest option in my video arsenal right now for rough transcoding. I like the iMovie 11 interface better than the PC btw..

Does iMovie 11 use the GPU to accelerate encoding videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.