Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

items on iCal suddenly missing

I opened iCal (have used it for years) and all seemed fine, I went to enter some new events (dates certain bills were due) and all of a sudden many of my items were missing from current (nov) and future months, they were also missing from October, though all seem to be there for September and before that.
What would cause these categories of events to just disappear?
How can I return them? (without having to manually enter every work date, appointment etc that is missing)
It seems from October on the only things left are "recurring events"
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

iMac 2.8 Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.5.6), also an intel MBP, G5 2.5 dp, G4,G3...

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 10:05 AM

I have just discovered a similar problem. I only have non-recurring entires for the last 3 months left in my iCal. Is there a way to get them all back?
22 replies

Nov 29, 2010 7:59 PM in response to Steven Swift

Still no fix here.
Very strange only "recurring events left on my October, November and beyond.
All other entries have disappeared (and there were many, grrrr....)
September and earlier has all the entries still there.

What would delete these entries?
Is there any way to reclaim them?

If this software is still this buggy after this many years any recommendations on a reliable and stable one?

Nov 30, 2010 9:18 PM in response to Steven Swift

btw if anything useful comes back from tech support I will relay it here.

When I first noticed the data/info disappear I quickly went from my desktop iCal to my mac.com/me.com ical hoping that it would still there.
It wasn't, it appears the glitch synched quickly.

The entry level tech support person I talked with yesterday mentioned that they recommend backing up ICal every day(!!!).
This link was given to an article detailing "How to back up MobileMe data".
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1813?viewlocale=en_US

Dec 7, 2010 6:24 PM in response to Steven Swift

I launched my iPad Calendar app today and everything but a single recurring event in July was missing. I tried the "overwrite Calendar with this computer's files" option, but that didn't work either.

Thankfully, it has not propogated to other calendars (including MobileMe), but I use my iPad for scheduling events most of the time. If there is a solution soon, I'd greatly appreciate knowing about it.

Dec 9, 2010 12:13 PM in response to Steven Swift

So after waiting a week for the "escalated " level two tech support to give me some news (and them not responding to my emails) I initiate another mobileme tech support chat that eventually gets booted to a "senior" level support person.
They apologize for the lack of response.
They assure me that my response to my Senior Advisor (he had sent a long rambling email requesting a long list of items that the "engineers" would need to be able to access my account and search for the lost data) had been received as well as the subsequent enquires as to any news.
They assured me that the Senior Advisor on my case will get in touch with me shortly.

Indeed within hours he emailed me saying the engineers were busy at work trying to reclaim my lost data.
I just received another email (with an iCal attachment) from him saying that he was pleased to say that they were able to reclaim "some " of my data, with instructs on how to download it and load it into my ICal.
When I downloaded it it became apparent that they had reclaimed nothing I had lost.
The only items on this iCal doc they sent me were the recurrent items that had never left my iCal.
Still missing 100's of data entries.
Still not very happy.
I expressed this to my Senior Advisor.
I will continue to keep you posted.

Message was edited by: Steven Swift

Dec 18, 2010 8:16 AM in response to Steven Swift

no resolution yet, still prodding the "Senior Advisor" to get the engineers to find recover my lost data as well as find a reason why it was dropped in the first place.
Like I mentioned above the fix they thought they found was all the old data and recurrent items that had not been lost.
My "S.A." changes my Apple ID to some random alpha-numeric password to enable the engineers to delve deeply into my account.
So no resolution yet, apparently they are still trying.
I'll keep posting with any news.

Dec 18, 2010 8:51 AM in response to Steven Swift

This seems to be the biggest problem with Mac software that I've ever seen, and not a hint from Apple that they've screwed up!!! And, no suggestions from anyone for a consistent fix.

My iCal (20+ calendars with 20-30 years of historical events.. yes it is possible with imports) went blank yesterday. I thought to obvious solution was restoring the events from Time Machine, except that I don't know what to look for, and no one else seems to know where the events library is located, or how it could possibly be automatically deleted as it apparently has for so many of us (this isn't the only thread here loaded with similar comments).

After almost a full day of trial and error with no success, it appeared that most if not all events were back on my synced MobileMe version of iCal. I managed to sync them back into my desktop iCal.

But what if I wasn't a MobileMe user??? And, I still don't know where my events are being stored on my Mac.

This has been a major problem for many since at least Wednesday and I have a feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I've exported my calendar events once restored, but that's obviously not a long term fix, even if this happens to me again.

items on iCal suddenly missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.