Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sample Xcode project CFLocalServer -- missing base SDK

I just dl'ed the latest Xcode (3.2.5) and wanted to work through the "Tour Of Xcode" document. It refers to a project "CFLocalServer" which I was also able to find and download from the Mac Dev site. I clicked on CFLocalServer.xcodeproj, and it opened in Xcode. However, on the main Project window, the "Overview" pulldown (which should say something like "10.6 | Release | x86...") contains the text "Base SDK Missing".

Does this indicate a problem with the CFLocalServer sample project, or with my development environment?

Thanks,
Chap

2.4GHz MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), Xcode 3.2.5

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 12:36 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2010 2:31 PM in response to Chap Harrison

Ok, I may have fixed it. Certainly not claiming this is the right way to fix it, but now it compiles and runs. Here's what I did:

1. Before opening CFLocalServer.xcodeproj for the first time, unStuff build.sitx (this may require getting Stuffit Expander). If you don't do this, Xcode will automatically create its own Build folder which will have an incompatible structure.
2. Open CFLocalServer.xcodeproj
3. Go to *Project > Edit Project Settings > General*
4. Change *Project Format* to *Xcode 3.2-compatible*
5. Set *Base SDK for All Configurations* to *Latest Mac OS X*
6. Set *Project > Set Active Architecture* to i386
7. Set *Project > Set Active Build Configuration* to Development
8. Go to *Project > Edit Project Settings > Build*. Scroll all the way down. Near the bottom is a checkbox labeled *Treat Warnings as Errors*. Uncheck this (the build emits four warnings that your SDK does not support anything prior to OSX 10.4; we don't care).
9. At this point, the main project window's "Overview" dropdown menu, which previously said "Missing Base SDK", should now say "Development | etc." and, by clicking on it, you can set the active target to All and the active executable to Server and the active architecture to i386.

Apple may want to update this -- pretty tough when this is one's intro to Xcode.

Sep 21, 2012 8:31 AM in response to Pierre Albarede

Pierre,

Thank you! This link is exactly what I needed and couldn't find myself on developer.apple.com.

I'm using Xcode 3.2.6 on OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.*

I'm new to Mac dev and Xcode so I opened up "A Tour of Xcode:Xcode Features Overview" to begin getting to konw Xcode and how to use it and develop in it. The VERY FIRST step is to download the sample code project, ' "CFLocalServer" the ADC Mac OS X Reference Library'... Simple. But No! I hunted and hunted but didn't find any hint of an archive like Apple's "Mac Retired Documents Library" which you've linked to.

NOW, I can begin.

4our

Sample Xcode project CFLocalServer -- missing base SDK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.