Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X compatible UPS?

Hi everyone,

I don't know whether this has been asked before, I'm looking for a list of UPS (uninterruptible power supply) units that are compatible with Mac OS X; specifically units that can directly interface with the UPS settings in the Energy Saver preference pane, in System Preferences.

I currently use a Belkin UPS, but it's software remains inactive when the computer is in sleep, and will not activate in these cases.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Peter.

 Mac Pro 2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon CTO; iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Personalized), Mac OS X (10.6.1), iWork & iLife '09, Adobe CS3 & CS4, Final Cut Studio

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 5:03 PM

7 replies

Nov 28, 2010 5:18 PM in response to Peter Miller

I have an APS at work which is interfacing with the Energy Saver system preferences. The APS has a USB cable plugged into my iMac (Mac OS X 10.6.2).

I have not had a power outage long enough to trigger an orderly shutown, however, I have had a few situations where I was running on battery power, and my iMac did display a dialog which reported it was running on battery power.

Nov 28, 2010 5:27 PM in response to BobHarris

Do you mean an APC? They I know have advertised in Mac catalogs long before Apple's latest growth spurt.

One word of caution about UPSes, they are no substitute for unplugging the computer during a lightning storm. Nothing can resist lightning completely, although it can be redirected most of the time by a lightning rod. Still even with a lightning rod, there is a chance of lightning deciding to jump the circuit, and fry the UPS and even part of the computer if it is plugged in to municipal power. While UPSes will often warranty against damage due to lightning, they can't substitute having an off site backup, or at least a detached backup. Only backup your systems in fair weather.

Dec 3, 2010 3:56 PM in response to a brody

Hi,

Thanks for the note about lightning, the town I live in does on occasion get storms where this can be an issue; in these cases I do unplug the unit and computer.

A note there is that the power grid in my town does handle surges etc. quite well, in most cases a direct strike is really the highest risk (in this case nothing can protect equipment.

Thanks.

Regards,

Peter.

Mac OS X compatible UPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.