12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 11:55 AM by Da Cat
dubprocess Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Does anyone know of any good express cards 3/4 SATA II that can be used with reliability on Snow Leopard? I have tried a few different ones but ALL of them cause kernel panics on my system. I have not had the opportunity to try the LaCie or Sonnet ones. I was mainly looking to take advantage of my LaCie RAID HDDs SATA II ports but have not had any luck finding a decent express 3/4 card. On a side note if there are no reliable SATA II express 3/4 cards on the market have any of you guys had luck with the express 3/4 FW 800 cards?

Message was edited by: dubprocess

MacBookPro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15-inch OCT 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • 1. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    Wow! No one can offer any solutions?
  • 2. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    eww Level 9 Level 9 (52,975 points)
    Only a very small percentage of MBP users have ever used any SATA II ExpressCard, and only a small percentage of them have ever posted in Apple Discussions. So the population of users who are present here and able to answer your question is probably tiny. You may have to wait a while. Be patient.
  • 3. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    I think I found one that is highly reliable for Snow Leopard. This one is made by Firmtek.
    http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/seritek2sm2e.html

Has anyone used this particular one?
  • 4. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    paulyman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm using the Express Card from Monoprice (no marking to indicate manufacturer) to connect to LaCie NAS and so far, all is well.
  • 5. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    just ordered it! I didn't realize monoprice made express cards! Its worth $12 to try it out! Thanks, this made my day! I order from monoprice at least once a month and didn't even think to see if they sold these things.

Message was edited by: dubprocess
  • 6. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    T1mur Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    2008/09 Unibody Macbook Pros suffer from an epidemic failure of their ExpressCard slot. You will not find any eSATA card using any of the three available chipsets that will work fully reliable in these Macs.

Blame Apple. I'm onto this for two years now and will get a 2010 MBP replacement soon. According to Other World Computing (OWC) the 2010 models should work (they just put some BIG red crosses over all 2008/09 MBP to mark them incompatible). Once I get the 2010 one I will test it and post results.

I will also publish my case number once this is through.
  • 7. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    suitsusir Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I must respectfully disagree with the last poster. As I just posted in another thread, I am using a Sonnet ExpressCard at home and a Sonnet ExpressCard Pro at the office with my mid-2009 unibody MBP. Apart from one kernel panic following a power cut, I have never had any problems with them in 12 months of using them. In my experience they are fast, reliable and I recommend them highly.
  • 8. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    T1mur Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    I had a 2008 15" MBP plus Logic Board replacement and a 2009 17" MBP plus Logic Board replacement, all showed the same ExpressCard issues.

The Apple Genius at my local store validated the issue and acknowledged that no Logic Board change can fix it. I got a 2010 replacement now.

The 2010 models seem to work better in that they don't cause errors/panics/whatever out of the blue now. While transferring data via eSATA you still cannot touch/connect anything that uses its own power-supply though, causes dropouts, error, disconnects, panics. Still worlds better than before.
  • 9. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    Paul Bullen Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    I have a Best Connectivity SATA II Expresscard/34MM (3.0 Gb/s), which apparently is made by a company named Syba, although I don't see that name on anything I have. It creates two eSATA ports. It is packaged for Windows people, but I believe I got the Mac driver from their Web site. I got the card from Amazon because it had good reviews and was cheap ($20). The only complaint I have is that it can come out of the slot fairly easily, although it clicks in place. So if you want to move your portable computer around your desk while something is being transferred, you have to be very careful. Also, you should remember to eject any disks attached through the eSATA ports before putting your computer to sleep.

Here's a link for the card on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/46vkecy

Message was edited by: Paul Bullen
  • 10. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    Blockheads88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Paulyman

I know this thread is old but I am looking to get the express/34 to USB 3.0 and also saw the mono price one. Is there any drivers you need or just plug and play?

Thanks,

• 11. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    Da Cat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Both the SeriTek and Sonnets have been tested & well reviewed with Macs, cheaper ones usually designed & tested for Windows are not so reliable. There are specific ones for earlier MBPs while different ones for later models that aren't compatible with earlier models. The cutoff point seems around 2010-11

SeriTek was founded by a former Apple engineer, their tech support is knowledgeable and friendly and Barefeats tests most of their gear and it passes with rave reviews.

I recall from earlier research that the high end ones have much better speed ratings, with Mac peripherals cost savings often come at a price, I just found out using OWC's discount RAM in a G4, the "high performance" RAM they sent showed as PC-100 not PC-133 in Apple System Profiler, while even the standard grade Samsung they replaced it with failed in Techtool Pro with (-2) errors, and might have even caused issues with my G4s and external RAIDs which all had problems after trying it.

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2sm2-e/

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/compat.php

Only the newer model is listed as bootable in the 2011 MBP, while I think some of Sonnet's are too.

• 12. Re: Express Card/34 SATA II
    Da Cat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Found a lengthy user report from a variety of users/cards: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/express34_card_reports.html